PDA

View Full Version : DialogSetInfo, icon change

fettan
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi all;
I have a BASIC MSI project.

In this project, I want to change the icon on left-top of the each dialog (computer and CD icon).

To accomplish this issue, I use the below code fragment with a custom action:

function OnBegin()
begin
SdInit();
DialogSetInfo(DLG_INFO_ALTIMAGE, SUPPORTDIR^"some.bmp", TRUE);
end;

some.bmp is 55x55 sized as it is suggested at Changing Dialogs Box Bitmaps (http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/0301-articles/DialogBitmaps.asp)

But this function is not working as I expected. No change.
Also because this function is called from a BASIC MSI project, It may not function as it is expected. But in InstallShield Help File, on page entitled as "DialogSetInfo Example" says this:

NOTE

To call this function in a Basic MSI setup, you must first create a custom action for the entry-point function, execute the custom action in a sequence or as the result of a dialog's control event, and then build the release.

I have created a custom action and it is inserted in the sequence.

Then what is the issue?

RobertDickau
04-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I believe DialogSetInfo works only for InstallScript projects, and not for Basic MSI. As described in that article, for Basic MSI you'll need either to change each dialog box to point to the new image, or change the "master" bitmap in your InstallShield distribution.

fettan
04-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I believe DialogSetInfo works only for InstallScript projects, and not for Basic MSI. As described in that article, for Basic MSI you'll need either to change each dialog box to point to the new image, or change the "master" bitmap in your InstallShield distribution.

But why is that mentioned in the help file? And I just want to change the icon on top-left, not the layout pictures.

RobertDickau
04-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm afraid that might be an error in the documentation; I believe that function works only for InstallScript and InstallScript MSI projects.

As for the system icon in the upper left corner (and not the banner bitmap), I believe that is provided by the Windows Installer service and cannot be changed. See for example Macrovision KB article Q108570, "INFO: Limitations of the Basic MSI User Interface", at http://support.installshield.com.

fettan
04-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Well thanks, that was the thing I was afraid of... :)