PDA

View Full Version : setup.exe

Eagle1
04-10-2006, 05:12 AM
Is it possible to get a function in the release table to set the Version number of the setup.exe by myself?

Mike Marino
04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Are you talking about setup.exe's actual PE File Version, or resource fields like

Company
File Version
Product Version

Eagle1
04-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Hello Mike,

I talking about the setup.exe as PE File Version. Because we would like to get the Version Number from another external program from the setup.exe.

Mike Marino
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
We do store your Product Version number (From the General Information view, or from the Release view | Product Configuration settings) in setup.exe, but not as Setup.exe's PE File Version.

We have traditionally liked to keep setup.exe PE file version specific to the Bootstraps version.

You could read your products version number from setup.exe, it is just not the PE Version info. See the attached image. For this example I have made My Product have a version number of 100.0.0.100.

Eagle1
04-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Thats only work with Basic Msi Projects, if I use an InstallScript Project and create a single file executable the fileversion and PE File Version are the same.

Mike Marino
04-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Got it. It is difficult for us to handle this in InstallScript becasue the engine is signed in some cases (meaning our build cannot modify it without invalidating the signature).

I will create a Work Order for us to look at this for a future release.

Thank you for the feedback.

Dennis Marks
04-12-2006, 09:43 AM
It would also be nice to add our own ICON to the setup as well!

DevinEllingson
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Customizing the icon is supported in the release view (i.e.) 'Setup Exe Icon File'

Customizing the version info was supported by PFTW but is not supported by the built-in self-extracting EXE option for InstallScript. The existing issue # regarding this is 1-C2ORX.

Devin Ellingson
InstallShield, A Macrovision Company

Dennis Marks
04-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Devin Ellingson

Thanks, I know we put that in as an issue back in Dev Studio 9. I will take a look at it and see if it all works with our Basic MSI projects.

Thanks
Dennis