PDA

View Full Version : Custom Action Wizard text is wrong

looeee
04-04-2006, 10:40 AM
The text presented to the user in the Target field in the custom action wizard is not appropriate for the action type.

The text says
If you are launching an executable file, you can enter command-line arguments into this field. For example if you would like to launch a readme file that is installed with your setup, you should enter Notepad.exe [INSTALLDIR]\readme.txt For more information, press the F1 key or Click the Help button.
It first tells you that "If you are launching an executable file, you can enter command-line arguments into this field" and then the example "Notepad.exe [INSTALLDIR]\readme.txt" is contradictory as it puts the executable name in as well as its command-line.
If you are not launching an executable file then you will not see this page of the wizard.

The example should be
Notepad.exe "[INSTALLDIR]readme.txt" as the parameter should be enclosed in quotes and the INSTALLDIR will contain a trailing slash. This still is only appropriate for an action stored in the Directory table, for all other types it should read
"[INSTALLDIR]readme.txt"
Where it says
For more information[] press the F1 key or [c]lick the Help button.
If you push the help button it takes you to a page that is quite confusing and doesn't help you that much to fill in those fields.

Mike Marino
04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
I beleive the example is correct of you choose to launch and EXE in the Directory Table. That requires the EXE name (and path) to be specified in the Target Column.

The text is incorrect for a number of the other cases. I am looking to see if I can get that corrected.