PDA

View Full Version : MSI Error on setup start: 1325 - 10.2.0 is not a valid short file name

wjoconnor
04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm working on an AdminStudio repackage of Oracle 10g. One of the neat tricks is that I've got the install set so that it will allow the user to select the drive on which the Oracle program and the drive on which the Oracle default database will be installed. This works perfectly, as long as the system has the three partitions (C:, D: E:) which the original system had. You can even alter the partitions on which the two components are installed.

Originally, the Oracle product was installed to the D: partition and the Oracle data was installed to the E: partition.

The root directory of each install drive is identified by a Directory Identifier. The default value for the DI is set at startup. I examine the local system and choose default drives. I alter the value of the DI using MsiSetProperty.

If I attempt to install to a system with a single partition, I get the error shown here before I get to the Install Welcome dialog:

Error 1325.10.2.0 is not a valid short file name.

The directory in question is named "10.2.0".

I have changed the default property to point to C:\ for both DIs. The error still occurs.
I have added Set Directory CAs that force an update to the DIs to the default values I have chosen and the error still occurs. I have them running during the Install UI Sequence After CostFinalize and the error occurs. Attempting to run the CA before that gives a 2707 error.

My idea generator is running empty at the moment. Does anyone have a fix or some ideas about this?

wjoconnor
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Anyone? A little help here?

MohammedZahid
04-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Have a look at the MSI in Orca, and in the 'File' table, check that it is generating short filenames.

This is the problem that I am getting, for which I have posted a thread on here, but no replies so far.

TsungH
04-15-2006, 06:50 PM
This thread (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=155924&highlight=DefaultDir) should point you in the right direction.

wjoconnor
05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
I eventually figured out what the problem was and it's all Microsoft's fault. :rolleyes:
When a file or directory name conforms to the old 8.3 convention, everything works very well. If a file or directory name is longer than the 8.3 convention, everything also works very well. This is primarily because when a filename becomes "long", Windows hides the real filename and only shows you the long file name. Internally, however, it still refers to a short file name which takes the form of XXXXXX~n.YYY where X is the first six characters of the long file name, excluding spaces and with periods converted to underscores, and YYY is the first three characters of the extension. The ~n is used to make the file name unique among files with the same short name. The problem occurred because I had a directory name ("10.2.0") which was short enough not to use a long file name handle, but didn't conform to the 8.3 convention. I think if it had been a bit longer, it would have adjusted itself and the problem wouldn't occurred.

I ended up having to manually edit the Directory table. I found the record which referred to the 10.2.0 directory, and changed the DefaultDir field from "10.2.0" to "10_2_0~1|10.2.0". I had to force it to have a different short file name just so DOS wouldn't choke when it was created.

I am still confused how this error crept into my project. It was working fine for quite a while during development and I can't recall changing anything in my directory names which would have caused this error to occur. Since it hasn't happened again, I will put it down to a mistake that I made as opposed to a bug in IS11.