PDA

View Full Version : Validation Errors

Christopher Painter
03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Not that I'm a huge fan of validation ( great concept, but too sensitive sometimes ) I've noticed a bunsh of validation errors when I create a new Basic MSI.

I get alot of warnings about Vista ( such as unsigned EXE's ) but the one that really got my attention was when I turned MSI logging on I got an ISICE error saying invalid use of a property that begins with Msi.

MartinMarkevics
03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
This will be fixed in the release version (IOC-000047471).

On the note of validation, we added a set of our own ISICEs which check for Vista compliance. Among things that are checked are the signature of all .exe and .dll files as those should be signed when distributing a setup to Vista. Unlike previous releases, the validation is turned on by default, which is why you see these warnings\errors after installing the beta.

We also added functionality so that you can turn on\off individual ICEs (in Tools | Options | Validation). If you don't want to run a particular ICE or ISICE, now you can turn off that particular check.

loumachado
03-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I can live with the validation being on by default if I can turn it off. :D

I've been trying to troubleshoot some validation failures (as in failed to execute). Will turning off the validation bypass execution?

MartinMarkevics
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
By "validation failures (as in failed to execute)", do you mean the ICEs fail to run (or get a message like "An unexpected exception occurred....") or do you get validation errors and the MSI doesn't run?

loumachado
03-29-2006, 04:38 PM
What I have in my log are three lines that are roughly the same:

ISDEV : error ICE08: 1603: ICE ICE08 failed to execute
ISDEV : error ICE09: 1603: ICE ICE09 failed to execute
ISDEV : error ICE61: 1603: ICE ICE61 failed to execute

The failures just show up in the output window and task window. My installer looks like it's built, I just haven't tried it yet. I'm assuming at this point it would be non-functional.

MartinMarkevics
03-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Those happen to be ones that are written in VBScript. The rest of the ICEs run .dll code, so I'm guessing that you probably have an anti-virus checker that is blocking the script or there is someting else wrong with the VBScript enigne on your machine.

Note that these are the standard Microsoft ICEs (as opposed to the ISICEs we wrote) that are failing, so we can't change them. Ideally they should all probably run .dll code, but there could be some valid reason why they are done in script code (though probably not).

Anyway, check whether your virus scanner is blocking script code from executing. Interstingly, we use VBScript code in parts of our IDE, so you should see problems there as well (particularly the Start Page).

loumachado
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, it all makes sense... it wasn't the virus scanner actually. It was my vbscript.dll file. It was deregistered due to some problem I was investigated a while back and I never re-registered the file back. Once I registered the file those errors cleared up.

Thanks Martin!

Christopher Painter
03-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Hmmm, as if script CA's weren't bad enough! :)

Hmmm, maybe it's time to start writing ICE's in InstallScript! (Type 1!!!)