PDA

View Full Version : Disable Remove Button does not work on 98

Tim Mayert
03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
I have to make sure that our uninstall runs in UI mode so that another app that I call can perform some other uninstalls. Since in Execute mode we can not have 2 or more uninstalls happening at the same time the only place to do it is during the UI stage of the main uninstall.

So I set the Disable Remove Button to Yes and then on 2000/XP the uninstall works perfectly, but on 98 there is no Add/Remove entry and therefore the app can not be uninstalled. How can I get the Add/Remove entry to appear on 98 machines, but still have have the uninstall run in UI mode?

Has anyone used the Disable Remove Button and installed on a 98 machine?

By the way my install is a Basic MSI project only.

Thanks for any input....

TsungH
03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Per ARPNOREMOVE Property (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/arpnoremove.asp), setting this property has the effect of removing the product from the list of installed products on the ARP in Control Panel for operating systems before Windows 2000.

Tim Mayert
03-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Hello TsungH,

I have set the ARPNOREMOVE property to 1 under the condition that the install is not Version9X. I have tested under XP and this worked and Now I have to test under 9x to make sure they have a remove button.

One question though about this. The entry in the registry: UninstallString does not get created when you set this property. So is this registry entry only used if you run the install from the Remove button?

Thanks,

TsungH
03-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Even when UninstallString is not present under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{product key}, I believe you will still be able to uninstall by running the setup again.