PDA

View Full Version : Vista Testing

Christopher Painter
03-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Is there any possibility that Macrovision and Microsoft could partner to offer access to Vista CTP releases for testing Windows Installer?

I know we all have our sources, but I'm not allowed to use things like that at work. It's also like pulling teeth to get the official channels to enter into agreements with Microsoft.

Is it a silly question to wonder if Macrovision could get Microsft to extend an invitation?

loumachado
03-28-2006, 06:59 PM
If it's of any consolation Chris, I only have Vista on DVD and I can't seem to find a system with a DVD drive that I can install it from for my test system.

Too tell the truth, I don't care as much about Vista as I do Windows Installer 4.0. Anyone happen to spot this available individually?

MichaelU
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
That's not too likely, as from what I've heard MSI 4.0 will only be available built in to Vista. This doesn't guarantee anything about 4.1, so perhaps we'll see that appear for other OSs, undoubtedly not before Vista's release.

Christopher Painter
03-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I might or might not have Vista Feb CTP on DVD. It also might or might not boot up in a virtual PC.

MartinMarkevics
03-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Regarding MSI 4.0, it will only run on Vista. So there will be no MSI 4.0 redists. Of course, this can always change (but it's not very likely).

In case you haven't seen it yet, the MSI 4.0 documentation ishere (msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/what_s_new_in_windows_installer_version_4_0.asp)

loumachado
03-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Well, I hope supporting my customers between Windows Installer 3.1 and 4.0 at the same time will be easier than supporting 2.0 and 3.0 was.

This is going to make for some interesting testing.