PDA

View Full Version : Beta...

neal007
03-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the invite and allowing me to participate. The timing is good as we are getting ready to distribute .NET Compact Framework v2 applications and have heard horror stories of people trying to install the .NET Compact Framework v2 by itself from Microsoft, ultimately requiring a Soft Reset to work. I'll be testing out the .NET CF2 integrations and seeing how well it works, it is needed! I hope the .NET CF2 framework will be on a download if needed basis so we can ship small distributables that download items as required.

I just downloaded IS 12 but haven't yet installed. I hope it is side-by-side installable with IS 11.5 as I may (I know it's a beta) install on my development box so I can test the functionality best.

One thing that's been buggy in the past with IS is the patch interface. Sometimes you can configure a patch then you click Build and nothing happens. You have to close/reopen the project to build the patch. One other thing with patches is that we always have to include the InstallScript engine or the patch will fail. Even if we install the full app with InstallScript from the setup.exe, it's not caching. We ship patches w/o MSI engines as they do cache, but the InstallScript payload must be included every time, hopefully that can be resolved. (InstallScript MSI projects).

There has been a long standing bug (reported) that any use of punctuation in the PDA installation modules breaks the installer. For example if I enter the company name of NC Software, Inc. it will not install, I have to use NC Software Inc with no comma or period.

I'd like to see web based installations (Install From the Web) actually check the system before calling to download files. Only download files that are necessary rather then bring everything down then install. Again, we are trying to minimize bandwidth, cater to users that don't have broadband, etc.

I don't know if this is available in 12 as I haven't installed yet, but I'd like to see an interface/capability to make Web Service calls. Web Services are the thing of today, it would be great to have this in our installer such as for product licensing, activation, etc.

I know the above are feature requests and may not apply to the beta, but I'm at least voicing things I'm looking for in the future.

neal007
03-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Not sure if this is already possible, but the ability to EXCLUDE files in a patch configuration. For some reason Data Dynamic's ActiveBar 3 (OCX) always gets picked up by the patch system to include in a patch. There are no changes to this file, not sure why it gets included in every patch configuration. If I had the ability to exclude it, I would. I'm using the Patch system inside IS 11.5 Pro, not the QuickPatch as the IS 11.5 Pro seems to create smaller patches, which may be something else to look at as well.

I know this is not beta feedback, ignore if you're not interested in these feedback items. I'll get to testing IS 12 shortly.

neal007
03-28-2006, 10:22 AM
If possible, I'd like to see the patch dialog/launcher prettied up too. It is using an older style launcher, not sure if this is MSI/Windows, but if IS can use a small init dialog or something for patches, that would be nice.

Mike Marino
03-28-2006, 11:53 AM
InstallShield 12 and previous versions should co-exist on a machine ok.

However there are some shared files, so while I cannot think of any conflicts these shared files could cause, it is possible that Installing 12, could effect previous versions some how.