PDA

View Full Version : 6308 Error/mscorsn.dll/strong names

nwalker
03-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Just started using 11.5 Express. I am having a problem getting a .NET DLL with COM Interop to build in an installation package properly.

When the DLL does not use a strong name, I get the warning message "RegAsm warning: Registering an unsigned assembly with /codebase can cause your assembly to interfere with other applications that may be installed on the same computer. The /codebase switch is intended to be used only with signed assemblies. Please give your assembly a strong name and re-register it."

When I use a strong name for the assembly, I get the error message "ISEXP : warning -6308: mscorsn.dll cannot be located on your system. You can set the path to mscorsn.dll using Tools | Options. The file is part of the Microsoft .NET Framework redistributable. Please install the .NET Framework and rebuild."

I'd like to use a strong name, but at this point, I just need to thing to create a proper installation package.

I have found posts on this support site on earlier versions of InstallShield that talk about the 6308 error. Let me recap what I have done with regards to those other posts:

-.NET v1.1 is already installed properly on the computer.
-The settings on the .NET tab inside of InstallShield (Tools|Options) already point to that installation path (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\).
-The file mscorsn.dll AND the file InstallUtilLib.dll exist in the .NET directory
-I have already uninstalled and re-installed the .NET framework once today

This seems like it is a pretty simple thing. Can anybody tell me what the story is??

MichaelU
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
It's possible that this setting isn't exposed properly in Tools/Options. Take a look in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\InstallShield\11.50\Express for the value DotNetMscorsnPath and make sure it's pointing to your desired version.

nwalker
03-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Excellent. That was the problem. That registry setting was still set to a .NET 2.0 path - I had to earlier uninstall .NET 2.0 due to a Microsoft bug debugging COM interop DLLs with VS 2003.

Thanks for your help!