PDA

View Full Version : Multi-language installer: problems with .NET 1.1 Language Packs

mstone
02-26-2006, 04:17 PM
To distribute .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 with my four-language installer, I set .NET 1.1 Core Language to "English" and .NET 1.1 Language Packs to "German, French(France), Japanese" in the release settings.

Now setup.exe incorrectly detects the presence of .NET Framework. It always asks whether I would like to install it, even if .NET Framework is already installed. By monitoring the setup.exe's registry activity and hacking around, I found out that setup.exe first checks whether all the .NET language packs are installed on the target system, but actually installs only one .NET language pack that matches the system locale. As a result, setup.exe is never satisfied with its own work and keeps asking user every time about .NET Framework.

Can anything be done to solve this problem?

MichaelU
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
If you turn off the .NET option dialog (on the release options grid) this prompt will go away. It will still download or extract the dotnetfx.exe wrapper, but the wrapper will make the more accurate check and will then not download or install any further redistributables. We do have this limitation on our radar, and hope to eventually address it in a more direct fashion.

mstone
03-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you for your reply, Michael. We'll describe the problem in our release notes and will hope for the resolution by our next release.