PDA

View Full Version : Delay Reboot after .NET Framework 1.1 SP install

jgeras
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I came across Q111502, which states that there is no way to suppress the reboot required by the .NET Framework 1.1 SP install. The article claims to be applicable to InstallShield 11.x -- however I've found that it actually *IS* possible to suppress the reboot using InstallSheld 11.5 (via the "Delay .NET Reboot" option).

Here's the thing: I don't actually own InstallShield 11.5 (I am just using the trial). I do own InstallShield 11 (which does not seem to have the "Delay .NET Reboot" option). So I'm wondering if there is any possible workaround for this with InstallShield 11 (e.g. command line params I can pass?), or if I am going to be forced to upgrade to InstallShield 11.5.

Thanks,
- Jeremy -

MichaelU
02-27-2006, 12:32 PM
You might be able to work around it by writing your own setup.exe bootstrap, or a dotnetfx.exe wrapper to wrap our wrapper. The reason for the reboot is that the .NET install says it needs a reboot (via exit codes which a wrapper could override) and our setup.exe listens to it. In 11.5 we added the option to ignore it until the end of the install if you are sure you don't need the reboot during your install, particularly for if you require another one after your install anyway. Fixing it in a dotnetfx.exe wrapper would be a risky choice because it would not pass the need to reboot on to the install.