PDA

View Full Version : 6645 build errors in 11.5 that worked in IS X Express

James Carlburg
02-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Hello,

In an IS X Express project that worked just fine that I upgraded to 11.5, and now I get these 6645 errors: crypt32.dll, advapi32.dll, secur32.dll

The error listing:

http://www.softwaremotif.com/images/gif/crypt32.gif

These are part of the operating system that the dynamic scanning recommends to include, but warns that it is an operating system file that generally should not be redistributed (which I agree). However, when I include them in the build anyway, the 6645 errors still appear.

In IS Express X, it did not recommend the inclusion of these files.

Since these are cryptography related files, I attempted making an install build requirement of Internet Explorer 6.0, but this did not cure the problem.

Any comments much appreciated!

James Carlburg

Tailslide
02-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Same here.. I wasn't able to update my old project though it crashed so I had to make a new one.

I'm getting -6645 on kernel32..dll, rpcrt4.dll, and security.dll

I'm confused as to why these are getting included and where.

James Carlburg
02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
So that you can get a quick reply, I found a thread in the other 11.5 forum (not Express but the expen$ive full version) that stated a work-around to right-click on the files you are including and have the dependency scanner only look at the properties at build time, not all the dependencies ... something to that effect.

I haven't tried that yet during the business day today, but after business hours.

Tailslide
02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Yes, I actually found that thread too, it didn't help me unfortunately.
Hope it works for you.

James Carlburg
02-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately, this didn't work for me either.

brian.webb
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM
I get this error also and upgraded from Express 11 to 11.5. Not sure what to do...

James Carlburg
03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
At a contract programming rate that is expensive to sit still very long, behind schedule and a few customers totally divested of any of my trust of delivery date, and with no answer from this forum, it's probably time to dust off the credit card and find an alternate vendor, at least to maintain concurrent installation projects, where if one doesn't build, the other vendor's will. I think that's wise.

Tailslide
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I've written off my $200 upgrade as a mistake and moved to another installer as well. I also think that's wise.

ramnefors
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I had the same problem when upgrading a IS X project.

However for me right clicking the file name, in the file menu, and selecting Scan at build: "Properties only" on the .Net tab did remove the error at the cost of also losing all the dependencies. I guess I could add the dependencies by hand. At the moment I have not tried. I guess I am just to fed up with this "upgrade".

RyanSmith
03-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Hey Guys,

I don't know if this will help you but the way I got around it was to first do a static scan for dependencies and then right click on every single .dll/exe in the files section and change it to dependencies only. You have to do this for any primary outputs as well. I don't mind paying for this kind of upgrade, what annoys me is when it is a couple of months late and still has these kinds of crappy bugs in it. I seriously doubt whether they tested upgrading projects from 10/11 to 11.5

Ryan

ramnefors
03-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Ryan,

Could you please clarify. On the properties tab .Net settings I only have three choices for "Scan at build"
- None
- Properties Only
- Dependencies and Properties

Where did you find "dependencies only"?

If I choose properties only none of the dependent dll's are included in the build.

Mats

RyanSmith
03-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Sorry I meant Properties only. And I am not sure but I think you are using Dynamic Scanning to include the dependencies, I used Static.

ramnefors
03-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the response. No I was using static scanning also.

The issue seems to be related to NET 2.0 if I exclude that from the install file there are no errors. If I include there are errors.

If setting "properties only" no DLL's are indluded in the install kit. It will build OK but the application will crash when run after the install because it can not find the DLL's.

This seems not to be an issue with upgrading either. I tried to generate the project again from scratch. The same error occured. As stated it seems to be related to inclusion of NET 2.0 in the install kit.

Given that this was the whole reason for upgrade I am a bit irritated.

In yoru case how did you get your dependencies to become part of the build if you did not scan for dependencies at build time?

If I do a static scan, all dependencies are correctly identified. But if I then set "Properties only" the log shows no DLL's are included in the build?

Cheers Mats

RyanSmith
03-07-2006, 07:00 AM
After doing some tests it looks like it adds about half the needed dlls during the static scan but I had to manually add a few more. We shouldn't have to do it but I need to get this install built ASAP and can't wait for these guys to put out a version that works.

ramnefors
03-07-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the confirmation. It seem like we have mostly the same experience. I understand your approach. However I would also like some response from Macrovision. If more people are experiencing this its seems like a very basic issue which should have been tested and addressed in a release that after all seems to be focused on .NET2 and VS Studio 2005 support?

Anyone from Macrovision out there?

Cheers Mats

RyanSmith
03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
I also had to remove and re add all project outputs for it to work

rlangham
03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I reported this problem back in January to MacroVision with InstallShield 11.0. they said 11.5 was to support .NET 2.0 and you would think it would be resolved. It is directly related to VS.NET 2005 and/or .NET 2.0. In fact, just simply installing VS.NET 2005 breaks install builds even when not being used. When trying to build installs for my VS.NET 2003 applications with IS 11.0 or 11.5, they no longer build due to this problem.

Some people have reported success with removing the scan options, but there is no solution for an ActiveX control in the project.

Unbelievable, still not fixed! I downloaded the evaluation version hoping that all would be ok. Apparently not.

Macrovison, please fix!!!

rlangham
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Started searching around and found a solution that worked for me.

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=123474&page=3&pp=5

Previously I had tried setting the Scan to None and this fixed some issues, but did not fix the ActiveX scan errors. I then went and changed the Scan to None for the primary output and all other .NET dlls and ActiveX controls and now the problem has gone away.

Problem is that you have to be sure that you add all your dependencies yourself, or in 11.5 they have a new scan option in the IDE that may take care of this.

Still, MacroVision needs to fix so we can have proper dependency checking.

MichaelU
03-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I haven't had a chance to confirm it yet, but we have a theory that a mismatch of .NET versions could cause this problem. If you're trying to build a project with .NET 1.1 assemblies but your Tools > Options > .NET points to .NET 2.0 tools (or vice versa), does that cause the behavior? Does aligning them fix it?

(Note that the option is IDE-wide, so if you have multiple different projects using different versions you may need to change it far too frequently...)

Also if anyone can describe a minimal scenario to reproduce the behavior (i.e. something like: Create a Hello World C# project in VS 2005 with references to this and that system assembly, create a new project that references the first, then build the second in Express set to such and such a .NET version...) it would help us resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

James Carlburg
03-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Dear Michael,

This is a simple program that recreates the problem.

Here are .NET 2.0 libraries for Secure FTP from Dart Communications, "Secure FTP for .NET": See http://www.dart.com/dotnet/secureftp.asp where you can download a 30 day trial of the libraries.

Whereas the sample project is in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\PowerTCP\Secure FTP for .NET\Samples\CSharp\ListView

When the sample is compiled in VS 2005, the resulting files are FtpListView.exe, Dart.PowerTCP.SecureFtp.DLL and Dart.PowerTCP.SecureFtp.Forms.dll.

You will get 6645 errors when building this project. If you need a secure FTP TLS/SSL login to test this sample program, please send me a private message.

Sincerely,

James Carlburg

RyanSmith
03-11-2006, 09:11 PM
After changing those settings I am still getting the errors

James Carlburg
03-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Dear Michael,

Being that I know the exact files required for my software distribution to work, and don't really *have* to have the dependency scanner, my project will now compile perfectly if I:

1) Open the IS 11.5 Express project.

2) Go to section 2 (Specify Application Data)
2a) Go to the Files subsection

3) Right-click on each file that is included and goto this tab:

Properties->COM & .NET Settings

and then in the .NET Properties frame, I set the "Scan at Build" combobox list to "None".

Footnote: Since the project was originally in IS X Express, and the IS X Express dependency scanner had already run, I didn't need to re-scan the project. My project is simple and I know what needs to be included anyhow.

I think that Dart Communications sample in my other post is an ideal simple example to reproduce the 6645's. My Pocket PC installations work fine ... the Dart sample apparently references Microsoft's cryptography services which is throwing the error. You're welcome to call me at my home number on file with your sales team anytime between 11AM EST and 8PM EST.

Sincerely,

James Carlburg
http://www.softwaremotif.com/

bryanwolf
03-13-2006, 01:10 PM
James,

We tested your sample project and were able to reproduce the -6645 error only when we renamed the file FtpListView.exe to something else when it and the file 'Dart.PowerTCP.SecureFTP.DLL' were included in the installation project in Express 11.5. This seems to point that this may be related to a linking error or something of that nature.

What may be helpful is if you could post your -6645 reproduction case build log so that we can compare what we've done to what you're doing. As well, if you could zip that log along with your .ise file, I think that would be helpful (We don't need anything aside from that ise).

Thanks for your help in tracking down and helping us resolve this issue!

-Bryan

James Carlburg
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Dear Bryan,

Thank you graciously for reviewing this. This is a link to a ZIP file that contains the build log that gives the -6645's, and also a build log of the exact same ISE project where the 4 files that are distributed, I right-clicked on each file and chose Properties->COM and .NET Settings->Scan at Build and chose "None". I did this for all 4 files listed in the "Specify Application Data->Files" section.

It works fine with that setting but the factory default of "Dependencies and Properties" throws the 6645's.

(My project is based off the royalty free distribution sample that you tested, and is named as FTPXNet.exe.)

http://www.swmotif.com/downloads/IS_115_Express.zip

Here is a GIF of some other files in the "File and Features" section that are there as a result of the dependency scan when the project was an IS X Express project where these files carried forward into this project.

http://www.swmotif.com/downloads/FilesAndFeatures.gif

Sincerely,

James Carlburg

bryanwolf
03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
For purposes of test, could you try removing all of your files except your two Dart.Power.TCP.*.DLL and FTPXNet.EXE and re-build the project.

Please let me know what happens when you do this.

Thanks again for working with us.

James Carlburg
03-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your service.

I removed the files as requested. It still throws the 6645's. (I did change the file references from the \\ UNC network references to the local C:\ drive to see if that made a difference, but not.)

Here is a ZIP of two screen shots showing the 3 project files that are included, the build log, the ISE (which is only changed to have the C:\ path reference) and the C#.NET source code project of the FTPXNet.exe, which is about 95% the same as the Dart sample.

http://www.swmotif.com/downloads/Macrovision2.zip

Thank you!

Sincerely,

James Carlburg

bryanwolf
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey James,

With that exact same project ( I created the folder path C:\_SOURCECODE_VSTUDIO\VC#\FTPXNetSecure and copied your attached folder to that path ) I get no errors of any kind.

Just as a test, please try opening a command window with cmd.exe and building your project with iscmdbld.exe (You can find it at C:\Program Files\Macrovision\System) with the following parameters:

iscmdbld.exe -p <Drag & Drop your project file to the console window> -v > C:\BuildLog.log and then attach that resulting build log. It may give some additional information that might help.

Otherwise, what also might be helpful is if you could attach a screenshot of the release directory on your target system.

Thanks for your help in this James :)

James Carlburg
03-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your perseverence. Attached is the BuildLog.log from a command line build. I also zipped up the IS 11.5 Express project which resides at D:\_Installation_Scripts, and a screenshot of the release directory.

Sincerely,

James

http://www.swmotif.com/downloads/Ftpxnet.zip

http://www.swmotif.com/downloads/ReleaseDirectory.GIF

http://www.swmotif.com/downloads/BuildLog.log

RyanSmith
03-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi Bryan,

I was wondering are you testing this application on 11.5 that had been upgraded from 11 or 10, or are you using a clean install. Also do you have Visual Studio 2005 and 2003 installed?

Thanks

Ryan

James Carlburg
03-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Bryan,

This project was an IS X Express project for about 15 months for .NET 1.1; then I upgraded to IS 11.0 on September 30, 2005 with the incorrect understanding that 11.0 supported .NET 2.0 (and as I recall the project wouldn't not compile in 11.0 either, but not for sure), so I went back to the saved ISE from IS X Express and built the project again in IS X Express, although I had uninstalled VS 2003 and IS X Express and installed to my alternate programming machine pending a resolution.

I was just making directory copies of the .NET solution and the ISE for the alternate machine.

I do not have VS 2003 or IS X Express installed on this computer any longer since my MSDN download of VS 2005 around October 28, 2005. (I just noticed I still had IS 11.0 Express installed on this machine and uninstalled it, too.)

This machine only has VS 2005, Microsoft Mobile 2005 SDK, IS 11.5 Express, DemoShield 8.0, Crystal Reports XI 2 Devoloper Edition, and for some legacy apps, this machine still has Visual Studio 6.0 and InstallShield 6.31 Professional.

If you like, I can create an 11.5 project from scratch ...

Sincerely,

James Carlburg

bryanwolf
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
James,

I believe a sample project might be worth testing. It seems like the common denominator between all of these express issues may be that they were migrated.

Please try creating a sample project and see if you get some errors and we can probably make some progress that way.

Ryan,

I don't have MSVS on the system at the time of reproduction. I have recently installed VS 2005 on this system - I can try reproduction in that case.

Thanks guys for working with us!

Bryan

RobertClark4777
03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Bryan,

Sorry to cut into the conversation here but I'm getting the same errors with a brand new build created in 11.0 (and then 11.5). I have a new application written in VS 2003 and I created an install project from scratch using 11.0. It threw a series of 6645 errors but scanned the dependencies and added them. I then purchased the 11.5 upgrade thinking it fixed this problem but it didn't.

The common denomiator is the precense of VS 2005 (at least as far as I can tell) as my 11.0 build for other projects worked fine until I installed VS 2005 side-by-side with VS 2003. 11.5 doesn't cure it.

Hope this helps...

Robert Clark

RyanSmith
03-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Hi Bryan,

Could you test building the application in VS 2005 with IS11.5? Instead of just in IS11.5. I can't seem to get rid of the problem. As I put in another post I am also getting a problem (7068) when adding the MDAC to m redistributable.

Thanks

Ryan

bryanwolf
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Could anyone who is getting this error please post the following information:

1) The .NET Version and VS Project Type of your product
2) The Original InstallShield IDE in which this project was created
3) The Current Version of InstallShield you are using (Should be Express 11.5)
4) Whether you have non-.net DLLs and EXEs in your project
5) Whether you've used dependency scanner on this project
6) Whether you can reproduce in a Clean Project Created with 11.5 Express.

This would help us greatly in getting the information we have around since a lot of people have been posting different things.

Thanks everyone!

RyanSmith
03-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi,

.NET 2.0 Window Application (Upgraded from 1.1)
Originally created in InstallShield 11 Express
InstallShield 11.5
Yes there are a few non-.net DLLs
I used Static scanning.
Yes, I tried running it on a new .NET 2.0 Windows Application and added just the primary output (.exe and a .config file).
It still through 2 6645 errors (one for kernal32.dll and one for security.dll). I also tried to add the MDAC 2.8 as a redistributable
and gave me a 7068 error, it only seems to get this when I add a "Setup Prerequisite", it works when you try to add a merge module.

Thanks

Ryan

RobertClark4777
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM

.Net 1.1, VB.Net project

Express 11.0 and Express 11.5. Built from scratch in both versions.

Express 11.5

Some interop .DLL files

Just the standard scan that occurs during the build (which finds all the dependencies)

Yep. As mentioned before this occurs from brand new install projects built with Express 11.0 and Express 11.5. I have had to revert to my prior copy of Express 5 in order to get this to work properly.

HTH

mittelhauser
03-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Bryan,

Could you test building the application in VS 2005 with IS11.5? Instead of just in IS11.5. I can't seem to get rid of the problem. As I put in another post I am also getting a problem (7068) when adding the MDAC to m redistributable.

Thanks

Ryan

I have both the 6645 error as well. I turned off all dependency scanning as a temprary fix (I didn't pay $200 for the ability to manage all my dependecies by hand!). That seems to have removed those errors...

However, I also get the 7068 error now. In my case, it is when I add SQL Express 2005 as a setup prerequisite.

-Jon

RyanSmith
03-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Bryan,

One more thing I thought I should mention was that I downloaded the evel version and then put my serial code into that.

Thanks

Ryan

gfeldmanmemento
01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Has this problem ever been fixed? We've just started running into it, too.

RyanSmith
01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, there is a patch available at http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q112146

hooveyjoy
01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, there is a patch available at http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q112146

Is this fix available for IS10.5 Standalone Build at all? It's a reported problem there too.