PDA

View Full Version : Prerequisite files don't save to setup.exe

brian.webb
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm "trying" 11.5 express and have already run into a bug. I added the Microsoft MDAC 2.8 Setup Prerequisite, right clicked on it and for the build location selected "Extract from setup.exe".

After I build the project the files aren't ever put into the Setup.exe. There's always a folder built named "ISSetupPrerequisites"

Or, maybe I'm missing something? I selected all three options in the prereq and nothing changes, they're always external.

TheHouz
03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I noticed the same thing. Do not know if it is a bug yet.

I do know that the install will run, and the Prerequisite's do install as required.

mittelhauser
03-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I noticed the same thing. Do not know if it is a bug yet.

I do know that the install will run, and the Prerequisite's do install as required.

How is it not a bug? I just ran into the same issue. I managed to create a new blank project (outside Visual Studio) which avoided my 7068 error (see my other post about install SQL Express) and would actually build.

I set it to single image and set the prerequiste to extract from setup.exe. When I do a build I get setup.exe and a sub-directory. How exactly is that a single image (e.g. that can be downloaded and run)?

I can't begin to express my frustration today that I decided to "upgrade" to 11.5. First the 6645 bug. Then the 7068 issue. Then I create an empty project to *just* create a single image of SQL Express and that doesn't even work!

-Jon

-Jon

bryanwolf
03-26-2006, 11:23 AM
mittelhauser:

First, please post your information about the project you're using on the -6645 thread. You'll find my request on page 5 I believe, but that would be helpful in us fixing this issue as we've never managed to reproduce all cases that are throwing it.

Second, please check the 7068 thread about a fix to that issue - there's a KB on it.

Everyone:

I'll test this issue on Monday. Perhaps we can figure out what's going on there.

bryanwolf
03-27-2006, 10:36 AM
After testing, it looks like the ISSetupPrerequisites folder is created; however, with the extract from setup.exe, the functionality is working correctly. If you attempt to run this without that folder present, you'll notice that it does extract the prereqs from the setup.exe and in the web download portion, it does correctly download those files from the web.

mittelhauser
03-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Bryan,

In my test case, the setup.exe is 5MB and my prerequiste is SQL Server 2005 Express which is 55MB by itself. There is no way that setup.exe contains the prerequiste.

-Jon

mittelhauser
03-27-2006, 12:30 PM
mittelhauser:

First, please post your information about the project you're using on the -6645 thread. You'll find my request on page 5 I believe, but that would be helpful in us fixing this issue as we've never managed to reproduce all cases that are throwing it.

I've tried 3 times to respond to that post and the separate post you made requesting the info. For some reason, IE just hangs when I hit submit reply after quoting your 5 questions. Very weird since I can post everywhere else with no problem.

I realize that the info doesn't belong here but...
1) Started in 1.1 but moving to .net 2.0. A mixed VS 2005 project with mostly C# but a few libraries of C/asm
2) orignal was 10 express
3) current is 11.5 express
4) Yes, both C# and vanilla C
5) Haven't tried.

-Jon

mittelhauser
04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP

Hello!?!

I need a single image setup and the prerequiste (SQL Express 2005) doesn't get saved into the setup.exe. When will this bug be fixed?

-Jon

robertharvey
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I too have this problem. In prior posts it was suggested that these prerequisite files would download from a website somewhere. How would this work. Do we have to host the files ourselves?

jethomas
01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I, too am having the same problem. Neither Download From the Web nor Extract from Setup.exe work! Has anyone found a workaround?

SvetlanaT
02-21-2008, 01:18 PM
So, ANYTHING?? Where's MichaelU when you need him?? I'm having this issue with IS12. Downloading from the web is not an option for my company as a lot of our customers will likely NOT have Internet access.. Help!

jethomas
02-21-2008, 01:37 PM
The company is not willing to help on this bug. I would suggest just upgrading to version 2008, where they have fixed the problem. Sure it costs a few bucks, and isn't fair, but this way saves a lot of time and hassle for you and your company!

SvetlanaT
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
This is for IS12, but hopefully this helps:

When making a setup.exe that you want to include prerequisites into.

1. go to the redistributable table, right-click the prerequisite you want to include: choose Properties and set it to "extract from setup.exe" (when I did that - it wasn't enough, but it might be necessary, I didn't check)

2. (what made it actually work) In Media folder, to go Releases, select the SingleExeImage (or whatever you called it) so you can see all the options - towards the bottom of the list there is a "Setup Prerequisites Location" option - set it to "Extract from Setup.exe".

jethomas
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't see that. Are you using IS12 Express? or IS12 Full?

In the one I am looking at (I opened up my old IS12 express), I don't have a "Setup Prerequisites Location" option. (But I noticed that they did add that in the IS 2008 express, though!)

SvetlanaT
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Hmm.. I have IS12[professional. I have looked at IS5 Express and that automatically puts your prerequisites into the setup.exe without giving you any option. There HAS to be one. That would be the stupidest thing if it kept the prerequisites separate without giving you the thing that people would use the most. Hmm. Are you looking at the table for releases that has options like "required execution level" "msi engine location" "cache web download" etc? :( Sorry that I can't help more.

HenryC
06-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks! That sorted it for me (IS 2008 Premium).

Comivan
08-13-2008, 10:15 AM
having the same problem with 12 express. (setup tries to download them if the folder isnt present and setup.exe is the same size as it is without the prerequisite) HOWEVER it seems some of the prerequisites work, but the ones i need do not of course. i used tried one of the defaults that came with installshield mdac 2.8 and it increased the size of setup.exe and seems to execute without the folder just fine.

this means the problem is in the prereq scripts... yea? however im not finding anything that mine is missing. are your prerequisites all custom too?