PDA

View Full Version : Installshield support for vista

aj_patra
02-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi,
Is there any new release of Installshield for supporting Windows Vista? I am not sure whether Installshield 11 supports for elevated privilages for Vista.

Thanks in Advance.

-Ajit

aj_patra
05-24-2006, 03:55 AM
I got the information from Installshield about the IS 12 beta release. It is supporting vista.

MichaelU
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Correct. Releases before 12 should work as legacy installer applications on Vista. Releases built with 12 and up should work as non-legacy, allowing you access to some Vista-specific capabilities.

CACUSer
06-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi,
What are the specific Vista capabilities that Ver 12 provides? Could you please give me a clearer picture?

Thanks,
CACUSer

RobertDickau
06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Please see the InstallShield 12 release notes: KB article Q112040 at http://support.installshield.com.

CACUSer
06-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I have read the release notes and have some questions:

Ability to Target Windows Vista Systems?
- Does this mean
1. It detects it is a Vista - does it detect Vista on 32bit and Vista on 64-bit.
2. Can I condition some components to be installed if it is vista and some other components to be installed if it is XP. Also diferentiate between 32 and 64 bit?
3. Are there any other settings that need to be changed - like registry settings etc when the machine is runnning Vista. If only Vista detection is included, can I not do that reading the registry or some such thing and create a condition on that? So Iwill not need the upgrade.
4. Can one Setup.exe ( using InstallScriptMSi) be authored to install on both 64-bit and 32-bit machines?

I would like as much detail as possible about these features/issues. I am combining Vista and 64-bit support here in my questions, but I do need clear info on these two items so that I can recommend to buy ver12 or not, Or wait for ver 13.

Thanks,

CACUser

RobertDickau
06-07-2006, 07:38 PM
The support for Vista is a bit more than that, including support for the Restart Manager, User Account Control, and other new MSI 4.0 attributes and such like.

You can use VersionNT, VersionNT64, Msix64, and related properties in conditions to detect the operating system for the product and for components. However, please see About Windows Installer on 64-Bit Operating Systems (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/about_windows_installer_on_64_bit_operating_systems.asp) for the behavior intrinsic to Windows Installer.

CACUSer
06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to find enough material about the exact changes in Ver 12 and how it helps in developing a single installer for Vista and XP. Looking at the release notes with their one line descriptions is not helping very much.

Is there a place where I can find more detailed documentation, like a copy of the help that comes with Installshield? I am trying to conveince my mgt here as to why we need to get ver 12 which supports Vista beta only.

CACUSer

RobertDickau
06-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Please see the InstallShield 12 help library available at (the bottom of, for some reason) Macrovision HelpNet (http://helpnet.macrovision.com).

CACUSer
06-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks - I will be going through the documentation there and hopefully find detailed information.

CACUser