PDA

View Full Version : OEM branding using transfoms

Lou_III
02-16-2006, 04:01 PM
I have a requirement to change the Setup.exe file to have different Company Names, Product Names, etc for each OEM we service. Ideally I would like to have only one product.ism but each OEM whould have its own oem.mst transform file. I have used these forums to successfully figure out how to embed a generic oem.mst transform into a product.msi file. (I use the 'Emb.vbs' found in MSDN at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/embedding_customization_transforms_as_substorage.asp). Now I can change the .ism file's MsiExecCmdLineOptions table entry to "TRANSFORMS=oem.mst". What I can't figure out is where in the compile process of the .ism I can insert the call to the Emb.vbs script to package up the msi & mst files together. Obviously the has to go somewhere after the msi is created but before the "zipping" up into the setup.exe occurs. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Christopher Painter
02-16-2006, 10:20 PM
The setup.exe can be branded using product/release configs. If this doesn't work for you, you can also consider using the setup.exe / msistuff.exe bootstrapepr that comes ( with source code ) as part of the platform sdk.

Lou_III
02-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Thank you very much. I was not even aware of the Install part of the SDK but I especially like the Msitran.exe in the SDK which looks like it takes a transform and applies it to a database. Now I won't even need the CMD line TRANSFORMS option. :)