PDA

View Full Version : Key Files

FormsPath
02-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi to all,

What is the real meaning of key files. I mean, i have read in the formus and in help pages that key files are mostly used to avoid users to modify or delete components of that installed programm.

In my case, some of the products that we distribute, well mostly all, don't have to have key files because when we make new releases of the files or when users have any problems we send them just a newer version which they can change, and this only works if they have not set the key files on that files.

Now i have the problem that when doing a new package when i want to create Shortcuts for executable files, these have to have an entry as key files, it adverstises that if not, the short cut will not be working.

Is there any other way to do this withouth key files?

I have also a question related to this and it is, if key files on files which are installed as a service in Windows is treated different than a key file which will not work as a service.

Thanks a lot for your answers

VILEPARLE
02-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Key Files are for your installed file protection. It will protect your application from being broken. Have you consider a scenario if your application files are deleted and user has no way to know about it.

You should use key file feature of WI. As long as your update concern you can always create Patchs for new files that way it will be recorded in cached msi.

If you want to keep your files away from key concepts and do your updates the way you have been doing then you shouldn't create shortcut advertised. Keep them non-advertised.