PDA

View Full Version : QuickPatch and updating Add/Remove Programs

Charlieh
02-13-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm playing about with Quick Patches so we can deploy patches to our customers post release. I've got it working but I can't seem to update the existing entry in Add/Remove programs to show what patch the customer has installed, any ideas? I gathered that a seperate entry wouldn't appear in the Add/Remove programs but apart from getting the customer to check the comments on the newly build exe (not ideal!) I'm stuck.

Also when the next exe or dll is patched I assume I don't need to create a new patch project and that I can just add it to the exisiting one by selecting 'Create next version' within history? Also, not every customer will take each patch so can I assume that as long as 'Overwrite any existing file' is selected within the 'files to patch' properties all will be cool?

Charlieh
02-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Me again. Well I've found something out - I'm using InstallShield 11 (Installscript & MSI project type) and if you create a QuickPatch and install it on a PC with at least XP SP2 then the quickpatch entry WILL NOT appear in Add/Remove programs as - see this link for further info (last entry by MichaelU): http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=155717&highlight=show+updates

TOTAL PANTS - HOW the hell are you supposed to tell what patches are installed if this information doesn't appear????????????????????????

svovi01
04-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Months ago I chased the Add/Remove problem. Patch Design patches simply are supposed to but don't list there. I was told by Macrovision this is an Windows Installer problem. I have no idea on the status, if this ever worked, or what it really is supposed to look like. As far as identifying what patches are installed on the system, all Patches are listed here My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Patches

Aflaat
04-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Patches will only show up in the ARP if you have XP SP2 or Win2k3 SP1. Other then that, you will have to build your own ARP entry. Uninstalling of patches are supported, with MSI version 3 or higher.

It's a pain in the neck to get all the info to build the ARP entry, and it will have the legacy Change/Remove button, but it will allow you to uninstall the patch, and tell you which patches have been installed, check out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/uninstalling_patches.asp

for building a remove UninstallString. For XP SP2 and Win2k3 SP1 support, make sure to include ParentDisplayName and ParentKeyName keys to make sure your Patch ARP entry will get grouped correctly. You'll also have to manually update at least the version number for your parent installer version.