PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mobile/VS2005 project problem

rsewan
02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Hi there,

I'm evaluating Installsheild for a Windows Mobile project I'm working on for a client. I had no trouble creating an InstallShield Pocket PC installation project with Visual Studio 2003 by creating a basic MSI project and then starting up the Mobile Device Installation wizard. However, I'm not having the same success trying to do the same thing with VS2005.

With VS2003, running the Window Mobile wizard would eventually ask me to choose the project outputs to include in the installation project, but with VS2005, I do not get prompted with the project output dialog, only a "Device Files" selection dialog. If I select some bogus file in order to get through the rest of the wizard and then call up the "Mobile Devices Project Summary" screen, clicking on any of the links such as "Project Outputs" or any of the other link does nothing.

I'm running the evaluation of InstallShield 11.5 with all the latest updates. Any ideas?

Regards,
Ray Ewan
New York City

davidh
02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
The problem with project outputs not showing up has been fixed with IOC-000045241, but it is currently not available as a hot fix. Basically, the wizard incorrectly thinks you have no project outputs, so it proceeds to the files view. Is adding the files in the files view an acceptable workaround at this time?

The problem with links not working is specific to running the product in VS 2005. This will also be fixed in future versions of our products, as we only recently realized that VS 2005 prevents script from running, such as the script that launches the wizard. To workaround this, you will have to right click the project and choose to modify it, meaning you will have to run through the entire wizard. Alternatively, you can create the project in the InstallShield IDE or other version of VS (versus Visual Studio 2005) and you shouldn't see this problem.

rsewan
02-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, David. Yes, you're right. Just selecting the files I want in the File Selection dialog works just fine. I had assumed there was some fancy behind-the-scenes footwork that performed by the Project Output dialog in order to create a mobile MSI, but just selecting the files I wanted worked just fine.

If you guys are working on a new release, can I suggest you also add support for the installation of the compact framework 2.0, SQL Mobile 2005, and Windows Mobile 5.0 support in the platform support dialogs. Also, the registry location your compact framework CFNet.ini file refers to does not seem to apply to VS2005.

Thanks again,
Ray in NYC

davidh
02-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I really appreciate the feedback about updating\improving our Mobile support. We plan to have all the items you mentioned below implemented in our future releases including Mobile 5.0 support and the latest redistributables.

You should still be able to install to Mobile 5.0 devices using our product, however you can not specifically target these devices ONLY. Meaning that currently you could create an install for Pocket PC 2003 and only Pocket PC 2003, but I believe you would have to target all platforms so the install will run on 5.0 devices. You can also manually update CFNet.ini to point to the latest redists, however we currently only use one registry key, because that is originally where Microsoft was keeping all the redists (in one folder versus multiple folders as in 2005). Following are instructions on how to update the registry key and ini file(we anticipated furutre redists):
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111164

Basically, you will have to copy all the files you need into one folder I believe.

Thanks for your patience as we try to keep up with the latest Microsoft changes as quickly as possible. Anymore questions please feel free to post, I'm sure there are other interested customers.

rsewan
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi David. It's been a while since my last post about Mobile 5.0/CF 2.0 support. Can you tell me the current status of 11.5 Pro supporting this configuration? I'm at the final run of this project and and checked out the Installsield product feature matrix and it looks like only IS Express supports mobile 5.0. Is that really true?

Regards,
Ray Ewan
NYC

I really appreciate the feedback about updating\improving our Mobile support. We plan to have all the items you mentioned below implemented in our future releases including Mobile 5.0 support and the latest redistributables.

You should still be able to install to Mobile 5.0 devices using our product, however you can not specifically target these devices ONLY. Meaning that currently you could create an install for Pocket PC 2003 and only Pocket PC 2003, but I believe you would have to target all platforms so the install will run on 5.0 devices. You can also manually update CFNet.ini to point to the latest redists, however we currently only use one registry key, because that is originally where Microsoft was keeping all the redists (in one folder versus multiple folders as in 2005). Following are instructions on how to update the registry key and ini file(we anticipated furutre redists):
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111164

Basically, you will have to copy all the files you need into one folder I believe.

Thanks for your patience as we try to keep up with the latest Microsoft changes as quickly as possible. Anymore questions please feel free to post, I'm sure there are other interested customers.

davidh
04-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Yes, since InstallShield Express 11.5 came out after InstallShield 11 Pro\Premier, it included the new mobile support.

So, with 11.5 you need to use the manual steps listed above to target mobile 5.0 systems (not all the steps, just anything that applies to your specific install).

If you get hung up on anything, just post here and I should be able to help out.