PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC, Windows XP SP1 Error

email2venki
12-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Hi guys,

I have created a project InstallScript MSI Project. In this project a "Windows Mobile" was added under Mobile Device Installations. No files were copied on to the PC, but files are copied on to the mobile device alone.

Setup created by this project seems to work fine in Windows XP SP2, but in SP1, during installation the ADD/REMOVE (installing window) window doesn't seem to appear. To install on the device, one has to explicitly click "Add/Remove Programs..." from the ActiveSync window.

This problem doesn't seem to appear on Basic MSI Project's.

Can anyone help .....

Regards,
Venki

davidh
01-05-2006, 02:34 PM
That sounds like strange behavior, thank you narrowing this down. Are you still noticing this behavior? Are you sure it only happens with InstallScript MSI projects? What version of ActiveSync are you using? Maybe you can use the latest version.

email2venki
01-06-2006, 03:04 AM
This problem occurs with both ActiveSync versions 3.8 and 4.1, didn't test with 4.0 since it has some problem.

Any idea where will the problem be located...would be of great help.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Venki

davidh
01-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Unfotunately, I cannot setup a machine to reproduce this at this time. It appears that you have quite a few workarounds, however...you can either suggest that your users use Windows XP SP2, use a Basic MSI project, or make sure your users manually install the application from Add/Remove programs. However, I do not know why the behavior would be different for InstallScript MSI projects since we pass the same INI file to active sync for both project types.

email2venki
01-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the reply.
We too have left it as an issue. We also didn't make any solutions to this problem.

OK!!!

Thanks Again

Regards,
Venki

DLee65
06-26-2006, 02:15 PM
I am running into the same issue on one of our QA machines (two different operating systems).

In my case the setup is part of a Basic MSI project. On XP SP2 the program will install correctly, but on XP sp1 the installation appears to try to launch the ActiveSync manager. However, the manager is never fully painted - just the frame is painted and then it goes away.

After setup the user needs to go into ActiveSync Add/Remove programs to install the application.

davidh
06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Here is a typical command that the InstallShield mobile custom action launches during a mobile device setup:
------------------------------------------------------
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\CEAPPMGR.EXE" "C:\Program Files\My Company Name\My Product Name\AppName1.ini"
---------------------------
Perhaps you could manually launch this via a custom action using your location of CEAPPMGR.EXE and your ini file in the command line. I'm afraid that you risk launching CEAPPMGR twice, however, if it works from the InstallShield custom action.