PDA

View Full Version : How to associate the compiled HTML help icon with a .chm file

kulprw
12-08-2005, 09:26 AM
:confused: I have a shortcut pointing to the compiled HTML file (*.chm) but IS 11.5 Express does not associate the usual tablet with question mark icon with it, although files of that type shown on the source computer file lists does show the proper icon. I can't find the icon anywhere in the Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio.Net icons folders (they appear to be identical) and cannot extract the icon from one of the files. Does anyone know how to make the proper association?

kulprw
12-08-2005, 03:33 PM
This is addressed in Document ID: Q107740 in the knowledge base.

FlyOnTheWeb
10-18-2010, 02:41 AM
I seem to be useless enough to find Document ID: Q107740 by myself. :(
Could u please paste the link?

Thanx in advance

DLee65
09-23-2013, 05:15 AM
Here is the link to the article: Q107740: ERRDOC: Build Error -3204 (http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q107740&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_ERRDOC_1_1&dialogID=158125170&stateId=0%200%20158113850)

The summary takeaway for the .CHM file is to leave the icon resource value blank. When creating the shortcut, InstallShield populates the field with a default value, Icon resource 0. However, you need to delete this value for .CHM files. One would think that InstallShield could insert checks for this when creating shortcuts. The operating system will automatically fill in the correct icon resource for .chm files. Oh well, feature request. :)

So I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for the same solution today. And yes, it was a pain to have to copy and paste the reference above, when it was just as easy to paste in a link at the very least. However, the solution and explaining the solution was just as easy too.