PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM: ActiveX Registration When Deploying Via Active Directory

idblew
12-02-2005, 06:05 AM
I have an MSI that when run locally by a user with administrative rights, everything works ok - all COM components register and application runs with no problems.

If I deploy the same MSI via Active Directory to a standard user, the install completes with no errors, but when running the application it tries to self repair. If I cancel the self-repair the application loads without problems.

I've validated the MSI and it only has ICE33 warnings (about 120).

Any ideas?
:eek:

_doog_
12-02-2005, 08:02 AM
check the eventlog for hints

idblew
12-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I've attached the Install Log (INSTALL.TXT in ZIP) but can't see anything obvious.

The Event Log states that one of the OCX components (PROIVACTIVECLIENT.OCX) isn't properly installed, hence the repair.

Help!!! :eek:

_doog_
12-12-2005, 07:52 AM
do you mean ProIVActiveXClient.ocx (x missing) or is that the error?

DLee65
12-13-2005, 09:57 AM
<snip>If I deploy the same MSI via Active Directory to a standard user, <snip>

I am having similar problems. I have a msi dll wrapper that I created that is a COM object and requires that I register it during setup. However, it seems that ActiveDirectory elevated privileges does not grant the user the right to register the custom dll. I need to register the COM object before I can call its functions.

Like you, my setup will work perfectly if the user has administrative rights. but the standard user will fail. Also, on two different machines I was not able to accurately validate the version of IE installed. I have an installation condition that checks for shdocw.dll. My check for version 5.0 works if the user is an administrator but fails if the user is a power user on Windows XP. My guess is that it is some rogue permission issue but I have not been able to prove this and thus absolve my setup from culpability.

Has anyone else had similar problems distributing setups to standard users using ActiveDirectory?

Thanks.

brianl
12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
When you deploy using ActiveDirectory, are you setting the ALLUSERS property? When you test your install by running it manually, pay attention to the setting you are making on the Customer Information dialog, whether you are picking "All Users on the Machine" or "Just this user". That setting controls the ALLUSERS property. Try testing running with both options and see if you get the problem to occur.

DLee65
12-14-2005, 08:37 AM
For my project the product must always deploy to ALL USERS. There is not an option to install just for the Current User.

Brian, do you think this would cause some of the problems with Active Directory deployment?

Thanks.

brianl
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
It could be. When a per-user installation is done, COM information is registered under HKCU\Software\Classes, when its per-machine it goes under HKLM\Software\Classes. Try setting ALLUSERS=1 on the msiexec command line when you deploy using AD.