PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitor display problem

ethorne
11-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Our install dialogs are displaying across both screens - centered at the split - in a dual monitor setup. Is there something that we should be doing to avoid this or is this a setup issue on the user's part?

Ryan A
11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a user setup problem. I have two displays and my display software (nView) has the option to choose which monitor applications open on. I don't believe installshield has a way to specify the window position. I assume it just centers itself on the screen, and if you don't have a display manager telling it which display to open on, it just centers itself across the whole thing.

Ryan

JayFleming
11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
IS can actually set the window position using a dialog's Top and Left properties (not sure about specifying a screen for dual setups though), centred being the default (50/50).

But as already said it should probably be managed through a display manager, as if you adjust the dialogs they will be adjusted for all machines not just those with multiple monitors...

MichaelU
11-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I'm lucky enough to run on a dual monitor setup (also nView), and I don't see that sort of problem. Chances are if you or a customer is seeing it, that nearly all dialogs appear centered across the split due to the settings on that machine.

ethorne
11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
After getting more information from the user, it appears that the install shows up fine on his primary monitor to begin with. If he drags it to the secondary monitor and clicks the Next button, the dialog now realigns across the two screens.

I imagine this is still a display manager issue, but perhaps someone else has run into this problem?

Thanks,
Ellen

ethorne
12-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Some more information based on our testing of this problem. We are seeing this problem with the monitors set up in the [2][1] order. Would that make a difference?

Thanks,
Ellen

MichaelU
12-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Interesting. If I try dragging it around to a place on the second monitor, and click next or back, it always reverts to some location on the first monitor. Often this isn't fully on the first monitor, but crosses over the split. I don't think I've ever dragged an install that far before - it does appear in the center of my primary screen.

Unfortunately we're not going to be able to help here, as the behavior is controlled by Microsoft's Windows Installer at this point (I'm assuming you're working with a Basic MSI project here; if it's actually InstallScript MSI or InstallScript, this may not apply). Again though this means it's not specific to your product, so any customer encountering this behavior should be used to it. . .