PDA

View Full Version : "The upgrade patch cannot be installed..."

BlakeU
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi, We are working on deploying an application to our users through Group Policy. The application was delivered to us as an InstallShield (wrapped around an .MSI file). Also, the vendor has released a few patches for the application. Accordingly, we also have a second InstallShield from the vendor (wrapped around an .MSP file) that contains the most recent patch.

We know that the patch works fine when it is run in the normal way. I.e., when a user runs the main application's Setup, completes it, and then runs the patch's Setup, everything works.

But when I manually extract the .MSI and .MSP files from %TEMP%, the story is different.

- I can create an administrative install point OK by using the extracted MSI file and the /a switch to MSIEXEC.
- However, when I try to patch the administrative installation using the /a and /p switches together, Windows Installer claims that the MSP file is not a patch to the MSI file sitting in the administrative install point.
- The exact error message is below.

Perhaps I am seeing this because manually extracting the MSP file from %TEMP% won't work?

I tried the process with the earliest available patch from the vendor, on the theory that patches had to be installed cumulatively, but the results were the same.

I've included a short log below. Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
BGU
_________

MSI (c) (8C:D0) [15:48:15:783]: Final Patch Application Order:
MSI (c) (8C:D0) [15:48:15:783]: Other Patches:
MSI (c) (8C:D0) [15:48:15:783]: Unknown\Absent: {084CAB40-AA11-4E22-9F02-E678AB0D61FA} - W:\57_Media\SDP\WA57HF02.msp
The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.
W:\57_Media\SDP\Pivotal Lifecycle Engine Windows Access r5.7.msi
MSI (c) (8C:D0) [15:48:15:783]: Product: Pivotal Lifecycle Engine Windows Access r5.7 (v5.7.0001) - Update '{084CAB40-AA11-4E22-9F02-E678AB0D61FA}' could not be installed. Error code 1642. Additional information is available in the log file W:\57_Media\SDP\short.log.

MSI (c) (8C:D0) [15:48:15:783]: Product: Pivotal Lifecycle Engine Windows Access r5.7 (v5.7.0001) -- Installation failed.

sprinleo
07-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Guys, i am facing exactly the same issue....
any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance.