PDA

View Full Version : Modifying feature destination folder

exptester
11-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi!

I am evaluating InstallShield 11 Express and I try to modify the feature destination folder, but I haven't found the right way.
I want to deploy a Visual Studio addin which has to be placed in the folder e.g "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\Private Assemblies". The exact location of this folder depends on where the user installed his VS.
The VS installation location can be from a value in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1). So, what I need is a way to read the path from the registry and set this path as the destination for my feature (addin).
Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

Dsilva
11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi,
InstallShield 11 Express allows associating the registry data with the feature in the Installation Designer. For Express projects, all of the registry data that you add on the Project Assistant's Application Registry page is added to your project's default feature.
To associate registry data with a feature other than the default feature:
1. Open the Shortcuts/Folders view in the Installation Designer.
To open a view:
1. Click the Installation Designer tab. The View List is displayed along the left side of the IDE. If the View List is not displayed, select View List from the View drop-down menu on the toolbar or press F4.
2. In the View List, select the view you want to open. To see all available views, expand the View List folders.
2. Select the feature with which you want to associate the registry data.
3. Create or drag and drop the registry data in the appropriate registry location.
To create a new registry value:
1. Go to the Registry view in the View List.
2. From the Feature menu at the top of the view, select the feature that contains the key to which you want to add a value.
3. In the Destination computer's Registry view, select the key to which you want to add a value. All of the existing values are displayed on the right.
4. Right-click in the list of values and select New String Value, New Binary Value, or New DWORD Value, depending on the type of data you want to register.
5. A new empty value name is created with the name “New Value n” (where n is a successive number). Enter a meaningful name now to rename the value, or right-click on the value name and select rename to give it a new name later.
To drag and drop a registry entry from the source computer to the destination computer:
1. Go to the Registry view in the View List.
2. Select the feature with which you want the registry key associated from the Feature list at the top of the Registry view.
3. From the Source computer's Registry view pane, locate the key you want to include in your setup and drag it to a destination folder in the Destination computer's Registry view. If you drop an entire key onto the Destination view, all of that key's subkeys and values are added to your setup.
The above is normal process to be done to accomplish your goal.

Regards,
Dsilva.