PDA

View Full Version : Problems with .NET Compact Framework 2.0

bherd80
11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Hello,

I created a Basic MSI Project containing a mobile setup for a pocket pc (Windows Mobile 2003 & 5.0), now I need to redistribute Compact Framework 2.0. I found document Q111164 and followed the steps described in the article. Now there are two problems:
1. The value "sdkInstallRoot" in the registry has absolutely no effect on the place where InstallShield looks for CF CAB files. The value is ignored. InstallShield always looks in the C:\Programme\InstallShield 11\Support\DotNetCFCabs folder, regardless of what "sdkInstallRoot" contains.
2. I copied the new .NET CF CAB files to the above folder and so they should be redistributed. On running the setup the message "Microsoft .NET CF 2.0 does not support the connected device type" appears, although the CAB files alone can be installed on the PDA without any problems. The message appears both with a WM 2003 and a WM 2005 PDA.

Could you please give me some advice? We are not able to build a setup without the solution of this problem.

Best regards,

Benjamin Herd

davidh
11-29-2005, 12:00 AM
If the build does not find the code in the InstallRoot, it defaults to the InstallShield system folder. The value is not technically being ignored, it just does not find the cab file it is looking for in the Compact Framework install location so then it looks in the support folder. The support folder is the last place it checks, so that is the folder that makes it into the error message. Unfortunately, there is another slight problem because Microsoft changed the location where they store the InstallRoot location in the registry for the .NET Compact Framework 2.0.

I think the problem might be the name of the cab file your are looking nfor. My suggestion would be to place the cab files you need in the support folder. However, you'll need to make sure to change the cab file name in NetCF.ini.

bherd80
11-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Thank you very much! That really seems to solve the problem!

Best regards,

Benjamin Herd