PDA

View Full Version : Installation

Gentlehag
11-23-2005, 05:13 AM
Hi There

I created an installer for PocketPC's

After bulding i get an folder with aboput 60 Megabyte (files for all processors, .NET CF, SqlServerCE,....)

How can I make that I execute on the desktop an program which automates my installation so that the user don't has to copy each cab file and execute it?

davidh
12-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post. You can create a desktop installer that will take care of Active Sync if you create a new Basic MSI project and create your Mobile install in the 'Mobile Devices' view.

WhiteTiger
12-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Yes, David H, I am having the same questions... However I don't fully understand what you are saying to do...

Could you please give a detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to create the setup executable with the many files that InstallShield made? Maybe with some screenshots too? Or possibly there is a web page by installshield/macrovision that would do that for you. You know, they give you a product but don't tell you how to use it, hehe.

Thanks!

-WhiteTiger

davidh
12-21-2005, 06:18 PM
The wizard in the Mobile Devices view should take you step-by-step through the creation of a Pocket PC installation. You will see the Mobile Devices view in new Basic MSI projects. To get started, you can pick all the defaults in the wizard, except you will have to specify at least on file in the Files panel. Each panel should have associated help documentation.

WhiteTiger
12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I still don't get it... I went throught the step-by-step mobile device wizard already! But that just creates a useless .ise file and that's it! Then I can open that .ise file and tell it to build all these pointless folders with tons of files in them. What am I supposed to do with these?

Am I supposed to use the .ise to build a setup file? Because I don't see the "Baic MSI Projects" that you're talking about anywhere.

I am starting to get frustrated and time is running out. Is there NO tutorial for this on the internet??

davidh
12-22-2005, 02:37 PM
This is the InstallShield 11 community. It sounds like you are using an InstallShield Express project...that's ok, Mobile Device support is basically the same. Express makes Basic MSI projects. You need to build the project now. Then, run the built setup.exe on a machine with ActiveSync installed and it should take care of the installation for you.

WhiteTiger
12-22-2005, 03:17 PM
ok thanks I figured it out finally but now I have another problem!! The setup file is 67 MB!!! That is no good! That's WAY too big! It's HUGE! What is wrong here? What am I supposed to do?