PDA

View Full Version : Odd ISSQLValidate error message: "4"

Kutulu
11-22-2005, 04:26 PM
I posted this in the IS10.5 forums, but I have since discovered that it also occurs with IS11, so I'm reposting it here in hopes that more people read it :)

We have a client running Windows 2003, SP1 and SQL Server 2000, SP3, and we're trying to install our product onto this server. We have used this exact setup in dozens of other clients (it's our recommended configuration), but for some reason this person cannot install the software.

The problem occurs during the ISSQLValidate step. An error is displayed which says "Could not connect to Microsoft SQL Server 'SQLSERVER'. [4]".

Now, usually when I get this error, the part at the end will be something like "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]" followed by a SQL Error. I have no idea what [4] means, or how to correct it.

I should also note that this client was initially receiving an error that claimed MDAC was not installed. This is clearly false, as Windows 2003 ships with MDAC 2.8 pre-installed and you can't remove it. We re-applied Windows 2003 SP1, and the original error went away, only to be replaced by this even more cryptic one.

Does anyone know what that [4] means, or where I can go look it up?

--Mike

hidenori
11-29-2005, 07:24 PM
[4] is a format specifier and it should be replaced with a detailed error message. By the way, does the error occur only on the particular Windows 2003 SP1 machine, or it happens on any Windows 2003 machines?