PDA

View Full Version : [INSTALLDIR] Property

Genfors
11-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi,

I'm a new Install 11 Express user and have a questions that i hope someone could help me with.

Is it possible to configure the [INSTALLDIR] property so that the application installs to a fixed path like "d:\myapp" for example?

Thanks,

--Mats

Dsilva
11-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi,

I think you'll find the solution at the following Installshield Knowledge base article, which addresses this warning message:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107665

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dsilva.

Genfors
12-02-2005, 04:17 AM
I can't see what this link has to do with setting the INSTALLDIR property to a fixed path for a project, or am i missing something?

--Mats

ndgoel
12-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Hi Matt,

I read ur problem, It has got a very simple solution.

Just go to the, Installation Designer view, in that in the Installation Information Folder--->> Select 'General Information' Tab.

Noe GO TO "Product Properties", in this u can set so many values.
the Last being INSTALLDIR set its value to any folder or folders u want to act as ur Installation path.

It will be a folder under "Program Files".

I think this should solve your problem.

Regards
Neha. :rolleyes:

Genfors
02-07-2006, 04:08 AM
That's just the problem.

I don't want i directory under Program Files or any other directory that i have not speciefied.

I need to be able to specify a fixed path like D:\Myapp, is that not possible in any way?

--Mats

bryanwolf
02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
If you create a new root folder (like where you see the ProgramFilesFolder et al) and name it D:\, then you can create a static link. Also, you could set INSTALLDIR to D:\MyDir for example, and it will do this for you (reccomended).

It is also very not-reccomended to do this. It could cause problems in systems that do not have the D:\ drive or those which have the D:\ drive removed. In these cases, you will not be able to proceed with installation or uninstallation respectively.

Please keep this in mind when doing things of this nature as it is very difficult, if not impossible, to recover from these situations.

destek
03-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Another way to do this is to write a custom action like:

'start custom action
Dim sConfigDir
sConfigDir = ""
Dim fso
Set fso = CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Const IDABORT = 3
Const IDSUCCESS = 0

Function SetConfigDir()

If fso.FolderExists("d:\") Then
sConfigDir = "d:\"
Session.Property("INSTALLDIR") = sConfigDir
SetConfigDir = IDSUCCESS
Else
msgBox "This cannot be installed becuase you have no drive d:", vbokonly + vbCritical
SetConfigDir = IDABORT
End if
Set fso=Nothing
End Function
'end custom action

Sorry for the lack of proper indentation - that's just how this forum works.
Make sure you call the function - don't just specify the vbs file.
Call it BEFORE you write out the files.
Make sure you set ignore return value to NO
Under Files in the project just put what you want to install into [INSTALLDIR]

Technobot
05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
1: Create Public Property of ROOTDRIVE set it to the drive letter that you want.

2: Under 'Files and Folders' right click on 'Destination Computer' and 'New Folder', create your folder.

3: Under 'Direct Editor' go to the 'Directory' table, find the listing for 'INSTALLDIR'. Change the 'Directory_Parent' listing to 'TARGETDIR' and 'DefaultDir' to the folder you just created.
Next, find the folder that you created listed in the 'Directory' table. Change the 'Directory_Parent' listing to 'TARGETDIR' and 'DefaultDir' to itself (so if you created MyApp, change it to MyApp).

Hit 'Save' and TADA!

-T

ramy_saad
09-12-2007, 06:55 AM
hi
to do what you want
drag the installdir from its place and drop in the destination computer
when it appear in the sub level od destination computer the assign the value of installdir with your fixed value as: session.property("INSTALLDIR")="your string"

or in the manager property put the value of istalldir

i hope it is what you want