PDA

View Full Version : AllUser Install, Custom [AppDataFolder] file

zkrr01
11-20-2005, 12:30 PM
In an Installshield 11-Express installation, I have specified a key under HKEY-CURRENT_USER/Software/CompanyName/Product which points to the location of a custom .ini file. In the files area, under [AppDataFolder]Product, I have placed the custom .ini file reference. In the Customer Information dialog, I enable the Show All Users option. The custom .ini file is placed in the target installation directory.

When I install as Administrator, and select the "Install for all users" option, the registry entry is made, the specified folder and custom .ini file is place in the [AppDataFolder] location. That is, everything is created and the custom .ini file is copied from the installation directory and placed in the proper location.

However, if a limited user then selects the advertised icon for my product, it does not appear that the registry entry that points to the custom .ini file is created, nor is the custom .ini file placed in the [AppDataFolder]Product folder.

The question is, should Installshield 11 make the registry entry, and copy the custom .ini file from the installation directory to the users [AppDataFolder]Program directory? Or is this something that has to be done by the application itself upon its initial startup?

Dsilva
11-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi,

I think you'll find the solution at the following InstallShield Knowledge Base article and Microsoft link, which addresses this issue

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q105063

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/installing_a_package_with_elevated_privileges_for_a_non-admin.asp?frame=true

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dsilva.

zkrr01
11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Setting the alluser is not my problem, I know how to do that. My problem is Installshield IS NOT creating the registry entry, and copying the .ini file to the unique users profile for a normal limited user. When the package is installed by the administrator, everything works as expected. But when installed by a normal user, the registry entries are not made, and the custom.ini file is not copied to the users unique profile.

This used to work just fine under older versions of Installshield express. I think Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1 broke the Installshield express packages.