PDA

View Full Version : Installer runs whenever I run my program

JimHope
11-17-2005, 11:37 AM
I have created an install using Express 11. After the installation when my executable program is run the installer keeps starting. What is the cause and how do I fix it?

Please help my users are getting PO'ed and I am at a loss.

Thanks

Jim :confused:

Claudiney
11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
I have installed in mine schemes BDE 5,01, more I do not have the Delphi, in my project in the part redistributables does not appear BDE to select. My project demands that the BDE is installed therefore the EXE was compiled in dephi.

TsungH
11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
This thread (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=153403&highlight=event+viewer) should point you in a direction where you can start troubleshooting.

wayneh
12-01-2005, 10:14 AM
By the way - I have changed the setting (copy media to target machine=yes) in all my installers and I still see the same problem.

After installation, when running my program the installer start again, etc...

Right now, I tell my users to re-install and that usually works, although it's a bad solution to a bigger problem.

Perhaps there are other settings we should be looking at as well?
For example, I set 'Delay MSI engine reboot=yes'.....

TsungH
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
When letting Windows Installer complete self-healing, does the application launch ok? Or Windows Installer throws some sort of error?

If Windows Installer starts when a new user launches the program for the first time, it is very likely that there is per-user information, such as registry entries under HKCU, files going to user-specific folder, in the setup, and Windows Installer is simply putting down these pieces. In this case, there is not much we can do about it.

If Windows Installer starts every time a user, or any user including administrators of the machine, launches the program, we are back to looking at Event Viewer for clues, and try to identify the component(s) that are triggering self-healing. If it only happens for non-admin users, user's permissions on some files and/or registry could be the culprit.

Also, a compressed media may make a difference. I thought having "copy media to target machine=yes" would nullify the difference, but I might be wrong on this.

If uninstall followed by a reinstall eliminates self-healing for all users, it may have to come to inspecting each and every machine that has the problem. Even so, understanding of why and what is not guaranteed.

JimHope
12-02-2005, 11:56 AM
When the install was first done it was looking for a particular file which it could not find. I ignored the file and proceeded with the install. I rebuilt the install and added the missing file (a readme.txt file) and it ran perfectly after that.

Maybe an attempt to fix the install???? :)