PDA

View Full Version : Connecting and Validating Oracle Database during setup

Punsri
11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Anybody has any experience with working with Oracle databases during install? I need to do the following:

1) Get the database information from the user through a dialog
2) Validate the information by connecting to the database
3) If validation fails, display error message
4) If validation succeeds, run a sql script to create a schema
Continue with the rest of the setup process

I could not find much help on how to do this on InstallShield documentation or anywhere else. If any of you have a sample project or instructions on how to do this, please let me know.

Zweitze
11-17-2005, 11:03 AM
I once did a job testing for the existence of Oracle client software, where 8 and higher were OK. This turned out to be a huge job, as Oracle does not document how to check the installed version of the client... On top of that, 8, 9i and 10 have completely different installations.

To test for the existence of Oracle client, the best test was actually testing for the existence of the Oracle OLEDB provider. If that is installed, you can use ADO to connect and run SQL statements.
This has a downside: when you install the Oracle client, installation of the OLEDB provider is optional, and default off.

Punsri
11-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for this info. But, the area I really need help is how to validate the database connection from an installshield setup assuming that I have oracle client(including OLEDB provider) is installed and configured on the machine. I could not find any InstallShield actions or even any documentation on how to do this.