PDA

View Full Version : ADDLOCAL Reset

mspradley
11-14-2005, 04:59 PM
I am having problems with an admin install. I have ADDLOCAL defined in AdminProperties.

When I create an admin package with a feature list and logging on the ADDLOCAL property gets set to the value in the command line but is reset to a complete feature list further on in the process.

Here are excerpts from the log:

MSI (c) (48:B8) [14:34:18:121]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ADDLOCAL property. Its value is 'CrystalReports85SPFeature,Program'.

later on:

MSI (s) (50:08) [14:34:32:872]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ADDLOCAL property. Its value is 'DatabaseFiles,IAH,EMC,Program,DMODTS,CrystalReports85SPFeature'.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be forcing the value to be set to all my features after the are initially set properly?

TsungH
11-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Something during the installation has modified ADDLOCAL property. You may want to examine all occurrences of ADDLOCAL in the log for clues. The likely trigger is one of the dialogs' ControlEvents.

mspradley
11-14-2005, 09:46 PM
The log was from an admin install.

I used:

msiexec /a MySetup.msi ADDLOCAL=Feature1,Feature2 /l*V"log.txt"

There was no user interface except the select network install dialog.

Is there anything else that could reset it. INSTALLLEVEL perhaps? I read that ADDLOCAL overrides INSTALLLEVEL so I am hoping there is something else. What about the default install?

FYI -- I did a search for ADDLOCAL in the msi database and did not find in set property actions or something like that that was setting it.

I have also noticed that the MSI (c) version is correct and the MSI (s) version is wrong. Does the (c) and (s) denote UI versus execute sequence? If so, why is the ADDLOCAL value not passed to the execute sequence?

It is a basic msi project.

TsungH
11-15-2005, 08:56 PM
Perhaps, try changing the value of INSTALLLEVEL property so that no feature will be installed by default.

mspradley
11-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I setting the INSTALLLEVEL so that nothing is selected by default. When the UI mode is run the custom setup has no feature selected. When silent mode is run everything still gets installed.

ADDLOCAL is still set to everything in the server part of the log even though it is correct in the client part of the log just like my comments above.