PDA

View Full Version : Starting a IIS-website and "the parameter is incorrect"

EspenS
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm using Installshield 11 Express, and have created a setup-project which installs a new website (on port 8030), with one virtual directory. The installation seems to run nicely, but when I try to start the newly installed website, I get the error "The parameter is incorrect". Google-searches on this issue reveals that this issue might be related to the associated application pool, but the default application pool is associated with the website, and even creating a new application pool and associating this doesn't help. If I create the website manually, with the same settings, it works fine. Hence, it seems as if the installshield-setup creates a corrupted website under IIS.
I'd really apprechiate some suggestions on this! :rolleyes:

EspenS

EspenS
11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Update on the last posting:
I discovered that, after all, the problem is the appPoolId after all. It turns out, when I created an xml config file from the web site, that the parameter "AppPoolId" is empty after all. In the properties-window in iis manager, the web site is associated with the default app pool. But, as you can see from the snippet below, the parameter is not really set.

InstallShield developers, this must be due to a InstallShield bug! Is there a software patch which corrects this problem, or is there at least a workaround??

EspenS

Snippet from the xml config file:

<IIsWebServer Location ="/LM/W3SVC/2"
AccessFlags="AccessRead | AccessScript"
AppIsolated="2"
AppPoolId="" AspScriptTimeout="90"
AspSessionTimeout="20"
AuthFlags="AuthNTLM"
DontLog="FALSE"
ServerComment="Web site for Process Director"
>

davidh
11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
The most I can offer you at this point is a workaround. You have to add a value for the AppPool of the web site. You have to do the following:
1. Open the project file (.ise file) with Orca or some editor with which you can edit msi's
2. Find the entry for the web site in the ISIISCommon table
3. Change the AppPool_ column to have the value 'DefaultAppPool' (no quotes). Or, you can specify a string ID here and it will be resolved during the installation. An example of a string value would be ##ID_STRING2##.

I believe this bug has already been fixed for future versions. This used to work, but the creation of web sites changed somehow causing a NULL apppool value to cause the web site not to be started (exactly the behavior you are having).

davidh
11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I manually confirmed on a Windows 2003 machine that this is fixed for future versions of InstallShield, including the Express editions. Otherwise you will have to use the work around posted here. This was fixed with Issue# IOC-000034607.

EspenS
11-15-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the tip with the workaround, Orca did the trick. However, this is not an optimal solution. When you say the bug is fixed in future releases, what does this mean? Does it mean that you'll release an upgrade or a patch, or do I have to purchase the next version of the product in order to get this functionality working? I bought the current version mainly because it supports IIS 6.0 installations, -will I have to wait for the release of the next version to deploy my applications, without using Orca?

EspenS

davidh
11-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Yes, sorry for the inconvenience, this will not be available as of now until the next version of Express (or InstallShield) is released. So, you will have to continue with this workaround for IIS installations on Windows 2003 machines.