PDA

View Full Version : How to enforce uninstallation whenever a setup.exe has a new version number?

zhyluo
11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
How to do that? Just like the "RemovePreviousVersions" property in the .net setup project? I only want to update the version muber of the setup.exe and keep the product code. Anyone knows that?

I can never overwrite the old files in a minor upgrade no matter what I did. I have tried all the solution on the KB, but never work... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jonny_B
11-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Why do you need to keep the product code the same? If you were to change it, your problem could be solved quite easily. If you change your product code, you can keep your upgrade code the same...

zhyluo
11-09-2005, 05:43 PM
I want to avoid the change of the product code. Otherwise I have to change it in the uninstall shortcut every time. The .net studio setup project provide a property "RemovePreviousVersions", is there any similar feature in the IS? It will solve all the problems.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jonny_B
11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
If you don't change your product code, and just change your version number, it will prompt you to uninstall the program from the control panel's add/remove programs. I am sure that you can add a custom action which will force uninstall through the sequence menu with some conditions.

RobertDickau
11-10-2005, 11:04 AM
The major upgrade process (changing the ProductCode) is probably the simplest way to handle this. In your project, you can use the expression [ProductCode] in the uninstall shortcut's command line, and it will be expanded to the current version's product code...