PDA

View Full Version : Extremely slow Repair and Uninstall



AnnikaL
11-09-2005, 05:11 AM
I have a Basic MSI Project with about 4.15 GB of files after they are compressed itno cab-files by InstallShield.
My installation worked fine when I only installed around 4 MB, but now it's extremely slow on Repair and Uninstall. I can Install it, but when choosing Repair or Uninstall it takes a really long time to initialize (10-15 minutes), and the Task Managed says it's Not Responding.
I've seen threads about this problem on the boards for earlier versions of InstallShield but for some reason there was no answer from anyone from InstallShield... Well, seems like the problem remains. Please give an answer to what is going on or if this is some bug that occurs when you have a large amount of data to install. I've tried both with and without dynamic linking. I've made sure the cabs are all less than 2GB and I've made sure that I have less files than the maximum number.

Edit: Just to clarify: It's the initialization that takes time and reports Not Responding. After it has been hung there for 10-15 minutes the action starts and seems to work normally.

AnnikaL
11-09-2005, 07:29 AM
While logging the installer while trying to Repair I can find 2 places where it's taking its time...

MSI (c) (B0:A0) [11:40:52:069]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: _RemoveFilePath
MSI (c) (B0:A0) [11:44:39:433]: Note: 1: 2262 2: IsolatedComponent 3: -2147287038

and

MSI (s) (94:2C) [11:45:20:275]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ReserveCost 3: -2147287038
MSI (s) (94:2C) [11:49:14:402]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying CostingComplete property. Its current value is '0'. Its new value: '1'.

Not that it tells me much, but maybe someone else understands it?

AnnikaL
11-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Could someone from InstallShiled at least answer if this is known, if it's a bug, or anything at all?
Time is ticking for my project and I'm not the only one who have asked about this issue.
Please give me at least a short response to tell me wether it's any idea that I hope of EVER getting an answer.

davidh
11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I do not know how we could speed up your initialization process, especially if the problem is related to MSI (Microsoft) actions such as ReserveCost. Perhaps you could try using an InstallScript project. My apologies if that is not an option for you, but it would be a good comparison between the MSI engine and InstallScript engine. If speed is a huge issue for you, perhaps you could even try using the Compact project type.

Zweitze
11-22-2005, 03:44 AM
About this line:
MSI (s) (94:2C) [11:45:20:275]: Note: 1: 2262 2: ReserveCost 3: -2147287038

If you look up this error in your Msi.chm (or MSDN library) you find:
Stream does not exist: [2]. System error: [3].
Apparently the 'ReserveCost' stream does not exist. The system error is -2147287038 , meaning: The file is not found.

The error 2205 above that means: Table does not exist: _RemoveFilePath.

It seems that the cached MSI got corrupted some way. Try validating the MSI in Orca.

AnnikaL
11-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Thank you for trying to help!
I now understand more how the log works. And I found out I get that 2262 error ALOT. It's only in the ReserveCost places it seems to take time though.
Can't understand why that error keeps popping up.. Too bad I don't have Orca.

Zweitze
11-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Orca is a simple but powerful MSI viewer/editor. It opens any MSI and shows the same stuff that Direct Editor shows. It has an extra function called validation.
I believe InstallShield has the same validation stuff built in, but Orca was good enough for me... so I never looked at the efforts of InstallShield. I assume that the InstallShield and Orca validation are the same, the Windows Installer itself offers such functionality.

You can get Orca by downloading the Platform SDK. Unfortunately a smaller distribution is not available.

DLee65
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
I realize this thread is many years old now but I have been seeing the same type of behavior. In my case there are no compressed files. However, it seems to hang searching for the _RemoveFilePath table. Notice the leading underscore here. This indicates that this is a temporary or system table usually. See the excerpt from my log file below. Notice that searching for this table takes almost a minute where the program seems unresponsive.


Action 7:42:08: MaintenanceType. Dialog created
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:10:738]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying _IsMaintenance property. Its current value is 'Change'. Its new value: 'Reinstall'.
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:11:816]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ProgressType0 property. Its current value is 'install'. Its new value: 'Repair'.
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:11:816]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ProgressType1 property. Its current value is 'Installing'. Its new value: 'Repairing'.
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:11:816]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ProgressType2 property. Its current value is 'installed'. Its new value: 'repairs'.
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:11:816]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying ProgressType3 property. Its current value is 'installs'. Its new value: 'repairs'.
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:11:816]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding REINSTALLMODE property. Its value is 'omus'.
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:42:11:816]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: _RemoveFilePath
MSI (c) (24:28) [07:43:06:941]: Note: 1: 2727 2:
Action 7:43:06: ReadyToInstall. Dialog created

Also note that I have done validation on the package, Full MSI and Vista validation CUBs, and there are no errors with the install. So in my case the setup is unresponsive for a minute but not due to compressed CAB files or 2GB limits or some other limitation. The entire package - uncompressed is about 1.2 GB.