PDA

View Full Version : Macrovision! Please give status of .NET 2.0 Support!!

brian.webb
11-08-2005, 04:08 AM
:mad:
In case Macrovision isn't aware of it, .Net 2.0 has been shipped, Visual Studio has shipped. This means that we have products that we've shipped. I've got two applications that I have to redirect users to download and manually install the .Net 2.0 framework. This is done over the phone by our support staff and it's getting expensive.

Please inform us what your status is on updating our software to support .Net 2.0. Please, just keep us up to date. A little information goes a long way. You're forcing us to look for alternatives by keeping us in the dark.

Brian

TsungH
11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Only a handful of Macrovision employees are browsing the forums and responding to some questions. However, they do not comb through all posts in all forums.

For a quicker response, you may want to 1) email or call up Sales people, 2) comb through this forum for email address left by Macrovision employees, and send them a direct/unsolicited email.

willstott
11-14-2005, 03:27 AM
I've posted an article on Code Project about deploying .NET 2.0 Apps with Installshield. Basically, it involves adding a Custom Action to run a script that starts a program to detect whether the target has v2.0 of .NET installed and then runs dotnetfx.exe as required.

http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/InstallDotNet2.asp

I've supplied full source code + .exe, the script and instructions for adding it to a project using InstallShield X. There's also a sample project.

It doesn't handle the problem of installing to a target that doesn't have Windows Installer 3.0 because there doesn't seem to be a way to install Windows Installer 3.0 from another installation program. Perhaps, I need to write a bootstrap installer program to do this. Ideas anyone?

I hope this helps you out.

Will

Bodekaer
11-14-2005, 02:56 PM
I read the release notes for InstallShield 11.5 and appearently it should support .NET 2.0.

Any ideas when this will be released?

TsungH
11-14-2005, 10:18 PM
They don't announce GA date beforehand to the public. I am sure with some social engineering, you can probably get an ETA on 11.5 from their Sales. Keep in mind that Express Edition is usually a couple of months behind Professional/Premier Edition.

cgrill
11-15-2005, 10:11 AM
They don't announce GA date beforehand to the public. I am sure with some social engineering, you can probably get an ETA on 11.5 from their Sales. Keep in mind that Express Edition is usually a couple of months behind Professional/Premier Edition.
After a week of trying to get a response on the ETA of 11.5, I was called up by a salesperson today. He said that sales was usually informed one week before a new version is released and that he didn't receive such a note by now. Pity my maintenance period expires end of this week ...

JCullen
11-17-2005, 04:53 PM
From the product web page:

.NET Support and Visual Studio .NET Integration

InstallShield is the ultimate setup solution for .NET software developers. You have the option of creating installations within the Visual Studio interface or using the intuitive InstallShield interface.

Doesn't say 2002, 2003 only. One would beleive it supports all versions.

drewpt
11-21-2005, 11:52 AM
:mad:
In case Macrovision isn't aware of it, .Net 2.0 has been shipped, Visual Studio has shipped. This means that we have products that we've shipped. I've got two applications that I have to redirect users to download and manually install the .Net 2.0 framework. This is done over the phone by our support staff and it's getting expensive.

Please inform us what your status is on updating our software to support .Net 2.0. Please, just keep us up to date. A little information goes a long way. You're forcing us to look for alternatives by keeping us in the dark.

Brian

QFE

It would be nice to get an official answer.

Fabio Pagano
11-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I have set .Net Framework 2.0 (and ReportViewer) as Setup Prerequisites and it works ok.

drewpt
11-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I have set .Net Framework 2.0 (and ReportViewer) as Setup Prerequisites and it works ok.

Huh? What version of Installshield are you using? I'm still using Installshield Express X, but I wont upgrade until I know 2.0 is supported.

Fabio Pagano
11-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Installshield 10.5.

TsungH
11-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Per this thread (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=154131), GA of 11.5 is on Nov 28.

rajeev15
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM

I am trying to set ReportViewer as Setup Prerequisites. I am using Installshiled 11.
I have this exe at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe

where can I find prq file for this ReportViewer.exe

bavanandham
02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,
Im also looking for the same. I want ReportViewer as setup Prerequest but i dont know how to do it. I want to do similarily like .NET 2.0 prerquest. any information is appricated

Rajeev15 & Fabio can i know how you guys did it. did you have any issue with the ReportViewer SP1 release. how do you plan for the future release of ReportViewer? please let me know.

Thanks
Bava

rajeev15
02-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Goto Tools --> Prerequisite Editor
Click on Tab saying Files to include and add the reports viewer file