PDA

View Full Version : Anyone awake in support?

Kaaskop
11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I submitted a 'critical' issue to support today, but haven't heard from a human yet, just auto-response email.

What does Macrovision consider a reasonable response time to a critical-level support request? I was supposed to get a build out the door today. Frustration doesn't even begin to describe it...

Christopher Painter
11-03-2005, 10:48 PM
I can't speak for support, but were here. Why don't you cross post your problem and see who answers first?

Kaaskop
11-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Well, you've already beat them on first response time :p

Here's what happened:

1. IS 10.5 installed, worked
2. IS 11 installed alongside it, worked fine
3. Uninstalled IS 10.5 a few weeks later
4. IS 11 no longer works

Symptoms:
- IS 11 will start without problem
- Click one of the projects, or clik the 'Open' button, IS 11 crashes. Error reported is in isdev.exe

What I've done so far to try and fix it:
- execute the 'Repair' option - no change
- completely uninstall, then reinstall IS 11 - no change in behavior

I know for a fact that my projects aren't corrupted, since they work on another machine. That's what I'm doing right now, installing IS 11 on another PC. I do need to get IS 11 working again on my own machine asap, though.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Zweitze
11-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Severe crash on opening project?

Are you using a source control system, like Perforce? Could be this:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=152321

The problem still occurs in InstallShield 11...

Kaaskop
11-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Severe crash on opening project?

Are you using a source control system, like Perforce?

Nope, no source control system. Just files in a folder...

Christopher Painter
11-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Do you have a source control system ( but not using SCC? )

If you did you could try going back to a previous revision of the file and see if it loads. If it does you could perform a diff between the two files and try to isolate a change that could be crashing IS.

Zweitze
11-04-2005, 10:18 AM
That's how I isolated my problem... Actually I started a NEW project, never had a problem reopening it, until I checked it in, my colleague changed and checked in, then I tried to reopen... boom

But it may not be applicable for the original poster, as he upgraded from 10.5 to 11. (But you could check whether new projects give problems...)

Kaaskop
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Do you have a source control system ( but not using SCC? )

If you did you could try going back to a previous revision of the file and see if it loads. If it does you could perform a diff between the two files and try to isolate a change that could be crashing IS.

Thanks for the reply.

This project was created in 10.5, but worked fine in 11 for a few weeks. I made some changes, and they saved and compiled fine. It wasn't until I uninstalled 10.5 that I couldn't open 'any' project. In fact, merely clicking on the 'Open' icon in the toolbar crashes IS 11. So I don't think it's project-related.

What baffles me is that even a complete uninstall and reinstall doesn't fix it. When I have time, I'll do the uninstall again, and then manually clean the registry of any IS entries; perhaps that will do the trick.

For now, I'm installing IS 11 on another PC so I can get my project out the door.

BTW, still no peep from macrovision; it's been about 24 hours now...

Zweitze
11-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Well that's what I thought on my SCC problem, because it worked on two systems but not the third. Until...

BTW, if you didn't even get a FileOpen dialog, it may be a shell error (more accurate: a shell add-in). Such problems can be the result of a virus etc. To circumvent this, try doubleclicking on your project file.

If you did get the FileOpen dialog, selected the file and pressed Open, you should get a conversion dialog (or wizard, I forgot).

Kaaskop
11-04-2005, 11:09 AM
BTW, if you didn't even get a FileOpen dialog, it may be a shell error (more accurate: a shell add-in). Such problems can be the result of a virus etc. To circumvent this, try doubleclicking on your project file.

If you did get the FileOpen dialog, selected the file and pressed Open, you should get a conversion dialog (or wizard, I forgot).

- tried opening directly by double-clicking the project file: same error as before
- conversion happened weeks ago when I first installed IS 11, so I wouldn't get that dialog anymore. And I don't get that far anyway; clicking on the 'Open' icon crashes the app immediately.
- just to be safe, I'm scanning the system for viruses now. There shouldn't be any, since my virusscan runs continuously.

BTW, I opened the project successfully with my new IS 11 install on another PC.

Thanks for the help so far!

Christopher Painter
11-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I used to repackage alot of applications and I'd be required to trouble shoot an application that I knew nothing about. ( Works on this machine but not this one )

I find the SysInternal tools and various COM spys to be very helpful in this situation. Alot of times RegMon or FileMon traces of a particular transaction ( in your case start the trace just before you click the open project button ) will reveal differences in finding registry entries or file entries that leads me to identify the difference between the configuration of the two machines.

And of course when all else failed it's helpful to have a tool that can rebuild your machine. I like Remote Installation Services ( RIS ) myself.

Kaaskop
11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Chris:

Thanks for the suggestions; I will look into those tools when I start troubleshooting this (since Macrovision's support doesn't seem interested in processing my request).

For now, I'll get the project out the door with the new install, then next week waste my time on fixing IS 11. Ironic, isn't it: an uninstall of Installshield screws up my PC :rolleyes:

Christopher Painter
11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
One more thing to try...

I think InstallShield 11 is an MSI install. ( I'm using 9.0 these days which is InstallShield Pro Install )

Sometimes on an install a component will be requested for local but it's action will be null because costing through file versioning checks decides it shouldn't be installed.

When you uninstall there could be some junk left over and the reinstall doesn't overwrite it.

So remove and reinstall but this time turn on logging and look through the file for any problem along those lines.