PDA

View Full Version : Custom Action problem

rickpenner
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
I am using InstallShield Express v10.0 Service Pack 2, and I've encountered an incredibly strange problem. I need to change my Custom Action signature from the Classic style to the New style. With the Classic style, my Custom Action is definitely launched, and the installation proceeds smoothly. When I make the simple change to New in the Installer (and change the corresponding function signature in my DLL), I get a "DLL not found" during the installer.
The Custom Action depends on 3 files which are not on the system before installation. That is why I have made it a point to schedule my Custom Action after file transfer. This has worked smoothly until I switched my signature to the new style.
If I watch the %TEMP% directory during the install, I can see my DLL being placed there, then it's deleted right before I get the MessageBox about it missing. If I copy the file while it's in that dir to another location, then run Depends.exe on it, I can see that indeed it's only those 3 files missing.
The odd thing is, I'm getting this "dll missing" error much before it is supposed to be invoked. It's almost as if setting the function prototype to "New" invokes a dependency check early in the installation, but setting the function prototype to "Classic" skips this dependency check. Since I am installing the required files for my DLL, skipping this dependency check would be ideal.

Can anyone please suggest a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.