PDA

View Full Version : How to call Session.Property in jscript

DLee65
10-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi there all. I am very new to MSI installations. I can access Session.Property in vbscript. However, I cannot seem to find the right syntax to do the same process in jscript and have not been successful in finding the method to update Property Manager values at Runtime.

so in vbscript, here is my code:
<vbscript>

MySupportDir = Session.Property("TempFolder") & Session.Property("ProductCode")

The above code works in vbscript but not in jscript. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Christopher Painter
10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
Sure, VBScript and JavaScript aren't the same language. The first link is to MSDN with alot of refernce material on the two languages. The second link gives some sample code in VBScript, JavaScript and PerlScript. ( PLS is not supported in MSI )

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsconstatement.asp

http://www.brainvoyager.com/BV2000OnlineHelp/BrainVoyagerWebHelp/mergedProjects/AutomationAndScripting/A_simple_script.htm

DLee65
10-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. I have been over this page, but nothing in this page (or in its sub topics) relates to the MSI specific property call that works in vbscript.

What I need to know is what is the equivelent call to update properties at run time. Session.Property("MY_PROPERTY") works in vbScript. What call works in jscript? Are you saying that Session.Property should also work in jscript?

Thanks.

Dan

DLee65
10-31-2005, 11:07 AM
:blush

I am such a noob!
The code Session.Property ("MY_PROPERTY") works just fine in jscript.

A couple of things that led me astray.
1. The method .Property does not highlight in blue text in the InstallShield editor for jscript as it does for vbscript. That is originally why I thought I was doing it wrong.

2. I had typed in a value wrong when testing and did not realize it. :P

Well, I will live and learn.

Thanks Christopher.