PDA

View Full Version : Request to quit applications

davidepos
10-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Hello there !
I have InstallShield MSI project created with IS 11 Pro. Before installation starts to update system I have to request user to quit some applications, in my case MS Office applications: Word, Excel, PP, and Outlook. I have seen this type of dialogs in some installations: usually it is dialog with list of applications to quit, untill user closes all of them installation won't continue . As far as I remember "Next" button is disabled on this dialog until all applications are closed. Please help me with this task, I'm new in InstallShield may be I'm missing something.
Another question: how can I access MSI properties that were filled by SystemScan in InstallScript? There is MsiGetProperty function however it requires MSIHANDLE to pass, how can I get it?
Thank you in advance, David

DLee65
10-30-2005, 03:19 PM
David,

I have not yet converted this to vbscript for use with MSI installations, however, you can read through the code and see if you can convert it. I used the code in InstallScript installations to stop our application if a user requested to RemoveAll. See the attached zipfile. This has a function to shut down running apps, and to detect if a particular app is running.

You can get most of the values in the Directory table or in the Property Manager at runtime by using a vbscript and using Session.Property("INSTALLDIR"). Note, you can substitute any of the directory table listings or the Property Manger listings in this manner. You can also Get And Put values using this call.

GET example:
myValue = Session.Property("TempFolder")

PUT example:
Session.Property("MY_CUSTOM_PROPERTY") = szSomeValue

davidepos
10-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Thanks Dan I will try this. Hope this works for me. David