PDA

View Full Version : .NET 2.0 Upgrade ETA?

JamesWjRose
10-28-2005, 09:55 AM
MS released the final version of Visual Studio 2005 yesturday (10/27/2005)

We JUST upgraded to InstallShield 11 Express two weeks ago, and we are curious to know when, if an upgrade to InstallShield Express to support .NET 2.0 will be available.

Sincerely,
James Rose

Jon Perkins
10-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Yes, I must admit I am a bit puzzled about this myself. I installed VS2005 a couple of days ago and have just tried loading Installshield 11 Express for Visual Studio 2005 and was puzzled to see that it still only offers the .NET Framework 1.0 or 1.1. Is there some sort of update needed here, or am I just doing something wrong?

I guess if the answer is an update then this will really need to be answered by a Macrovision moderator (hello?).

Jon Perkins
10-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Sorry, I realised after I had written this that the VS2003 version of Installshield 11 is being loaded - hence the old .NET versions.

MichaelU
10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
Being able to select support for .NET 2.0 will require a code update. I'm not in the loop on what the plans are for Express with regards to potential backports or availability only in future upgrades.

Jon Perkins
11-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Hi Michael, if a code update is required then what is the purpose of Installshield 11 Express for Visual Studio 2005? This link appeared in the Installshield folder when I loaded the new Installshield 11 Express. In a separate thread I have said how I am not able to get this to work, and so I haven't actually seen it in action. However, the fact that this version exists implies that support for .NET 2.0 must have already been introduced into the overall product. Please could you clarify?

MichaelU
11-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Looking at your response in the other thread, it sounds like there are two items you expect to be tied together, but really aren't. One item is whether our IDE is available for use in a version of Visual Studio. The other is whether it can distribute a given version of the .NET Framework.

The former is backwards compatible - if a program can function in Visual Studio .NET (2002), it can function in 2003 or 2005. This much should work fine, although it hasn't been tested, and probably accounts for the broken shortcut.

The latter changes incompatibly between releases - you can see this just in the difference in how the .NET language packs have worked across the versions. I believe Express 11 was released a few months ago, which is long before we could run tests against the RTM versions which came out last Thursday.