PDA

View Full Version : Slow launch of Setup

sks2004
10-27-2005, 09:18 PM
On slow machines it can take up to 2 minutes until the Welcome dialog is displayed...no wait cursor, nothing. It is driving me crazy.

Could it be that the InstallScript engine which installs everytime and registers itself...is the culprit?

I suppose it's possible that the System Search capability is slowwww; I'm looking for Registry keys that may or may not exist (maybe 16 of them total).

Whatever it is, it happens before any of my Custom Actions execute. Any ideas?

BTW: The installation is not compressed, and the MSI file is about 5 meg.

sks2004
10-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Looking at the verbose log files, and noticed that there is a 1+ minute lag between the termination of the ISScript11.msi to the start of my MSI.

What can I do?

mario1978
11-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I've seen Norton Antivirus, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, and Spyware Doctor cause installers to come up extremely slowly, and/or uninstalls to take 3 times longer than normal. If you have any stuff like those running, try turning them off one at a time and see if you notice a difference in your problem.

DMorisseau
11-08-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't know about registry searches, but file searches seem to take a long time.

sks2004
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
yes, I've read about possible slow system file searches...

BTW: I should mention that this lag is generally greater with reinstalls (major upgrades, minor via patch, repair via ARP).

ron100
11-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I've also seen cases where SQL Server grabs all the memory on the machine, and installs are very slow. If SQL Server is on the machine, you can adjust how much memory it uses to something less than all the available memory and installs are much faster.

Ron