PDA

View Full Version : Installation on Win2000 cause reboot loop and blue screen

fniles
10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
We use InstallShield Express 11 to create installation for our application. The installation contains the following files:

Under Files:
myApp.exe --> copied to Destination Computer\myFolder
myApp.ini --> copied to Destination Computer\myFolder
ThirdParty.ocx --> copied to System Folder

Under Redistributables I have the following checked:
InstallShield Update Service
Microsoft Component Category Manager Library (comcat.dll)
Microsoft OLE 2.40 for Windows NT and Windows 95
Microsoft Visual Basic virtual machine 6.0

When installing it on a Win2000 machine (not all Win2000 machines), after installation of the application, the machine keeps going into a reboot loop and blue screen. We can not even reboot the machine in safe mode.
How can I fix this problem ?
Thanks a lot.

Christopher Painter
10-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Start by isolating the prolbem. What happens if you remove the third party OCX component from the install?

Do you have a system that you can reimage for a repeatable test environment?

fniles
10-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your reply. I will do that.

In the meantime, we use another operating system (something like Linux) to reboot the machine and get the application log event viewer.
The application log says the following from yesterday (after our installation)

-The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1'.
-Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 - Update '{411EDCF7-755D-414E-A74B-3DCD6583F589}' installed successfully.
-Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 -- Configuration completed successfully.

Our software did not include .NET Framework, so that must be from the previous .NET installation.
I deleted all .MSI files, but the problem is still there.

dragonziggy
08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm having the same issue for an update installation for the new version of my software. Only thing that changed from previous that did not have a problem to now is a new version of 2 DLL's what are only used by my program.

Any idea's as to what could be causing a reboot loop?