PDA

View Full Version : why can not overwrite old version files?

zhyluo
10-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I built a MSI setup package with installshield 11. The installation and uninstallation looks find.

Then I update some key files and assigned new and later version numbers for them. I also assign a new and later version number for the install shield project and rebuild the setup. When I run the new setup, it showed an upgrade message which is correct, but it did not overwrite the old version files, even I set the "Always Overwrite" property for those files. I set the "Net precompile assembly" property to be true.

According to this link, those file should be overwritten, but why not?

http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield11helplib%2FFAQFilesOverwrite.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=

I am really confued now.
Thanks a lot.
Leo

sks2004
10-27-2005, 03:00 PM
It appears that you are referring to a minor/small upgrade via running the full installation setup.exe. Could it be that you don't have the following property set correctly? REINSTALLMODE=vomus

zhyluo
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
yes, you are right.
I just made change of the setup file version number.
even I set REINSTALLMODE=vomus in the property manager. It still can not work. when I add an upgrade item in the Upgrades view and rebuild the release, IS will run the validation and always report the following warning:

Val0010: The data in component 'Main.exe' differs from the previous setup. However, this component will not reinstall in an upgrade scenario. Therefore, the changes will not be applied to the target system during the upgrade. Table: 'MsiAssemblyName' Record: 'Main.exe;Version;2.0.2005.1108' .....

But for sure I changed the version number of Main.exe for each release.
According to the link:
http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield11helplib%2FFAQFilesOverwrite.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=

Main.exe is in a separate component which contain it only. Why can it always report that warning and can not overwrite the file?

Thanks!!!