PDA

View Full Version : How can I NOT install .NET?

esessoms
10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
My situation is this: I need to distribute an application that uses the J# runtime, but I am installing it on machines that (a) already have .NET 1.1 and (b) have policies set so that the user cannot reinstall .NET. Installing J# from the standalone vjredist.exe works fine, though.

So of course the installer tries to install .NET, fails, and aborts. I have tried running vjredist.exe as a custom action, but then it complains that another installer is already running and it refuses to install.

Is there any way I can create an installer that does not attempt to install .NET but does install the J# runtime? Or is there some way I can ignore the .NET failure and continue with the rest of the install? I'm using InstallShield 11 - Express Edition.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MichaelU
10-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Making some guesses here, I think this might be what's happening:

J# requires .NET, thus we include .NET support in the installer.

The .NET (and J#) install starts to check for a "full" install. As of this version of Express, "full" includes SP1. However due to whatever your policies are, .NET 1.1 SP1 fails to install. The .NET installation aborts, and so does the overall install.

If this is the case, you merely need to get the SP1 installed onto these target machines. The .NET install will detect this and not attempt to install any further .NET redist files.

Alternately if you are not using the downloader, you could do a hack job that would replace the SP1 redist with an executable that just works. The downside is every time you run the installer it would try again to run this false SP.

esessoms
10-25-2005, 01:47 PM
I can work with this. I'm not in a position to fix the real problem, getting SP1 installed, but I can make a dummy EXE and replace the .NET installer. I'll give that a try. Thanks much.

Ray_Portrait
01-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Make J# a pre-requisite to the install. This way the install process wont already be in use