09-28-2005, 07:41 AM
I have created a dll with three custom actions, one is used when
installing the software, and the two others when uninstalling the
software. All actions uses the new function signature and the dll
is installed with the software.

The first action named 'register3dsmax' is called "After Register
Product", and after it has been executed and returned 1 for success
I get the error message:

"Failed to set the value of property 'register3dsmax'".

If I set "Ignore Exit Code" to "Yes", I still get this error and the
installation continues. Then when I uninstall the software the
two other custom actions are executed without errors.

Does anybody know what's wrong?

/ Joakim

joakimk
09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Never mind, I switched to Inno Setup, and in a day I was able
to do more than I've been able to do with InstallShield Express
for the last few weeks. And they do not charge you to submit bugs.
Too bad I paid for this Installshield **** though.

/ Joakim

aleczapka
09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Agreed.

I've spent last 2 days trying to do a simplest setup there is. Copy files and change 2 config files to reflect new destination directory.

I didn't have problems to figure things out. The problems are with the software which has so many bugs, you can't simply work with it.

Custome actions not beeing triggered, you can't use files if you choose to Link them instead of copying, so you have to copy into your project which takes like freaking 2 hours (if it won't hang), when its like 50MB!!!

Good there is demo, cause if I would pay money for this I would be freaking pissed off.

I belive I haven't seen most crapy software in a long time.. and you must pay for it. Not to mension the website totally sucks - ( macrovision should do some usability tests ffs)- no way to find any documetation or simple download.

I am going back to InnoSetup and I will tell everybody to do the same.

InstallTester
02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
aleczapka and joakimk:

Thank you so much for introducing me to Inno Setup. I spent days trying to get custom actions working properly with InstallShield and kept having so many issues, like not being to use constants in deferred actions and getting error messages in InstallShield when the custom actions succeeded.

Anyway, after spending more than a week trying to get InstallShield to do what I needed and being disappointed by the finished product even when it did work, I tried Inno Setup and got everything working within hours. I was ready to pay for InstallShield because I thought there was no cheap alternative. Boy, was I wrong! Thank god I tried the trial version of InstallShield before purchasing it.

Inno Setup is so easy to use, the finished product looks nicer, and it's FREE. Jordan Russell is the MAN!!

DBCUSER
02-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I never saw this one before. Yesterday I downloaded and tried and man it is good. One thing though, ISX is more for people who doesn't do scripting and want to do install stright away.