PDA

View Full Version : two questions

DBCUSER
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi all,
I am using 11X and there is a requirement for me, during install process, I need to prompt user to enter 2 values, like Country of origin and nationality. Once the user enters it, I want to populate the value in an ini file.

How can I do this?

I think, I would be able to do this with the help of custom actions.

1. Create 2 session variables (Can I create, how can I create)?
2. Create a custom action, which will prompt the user to enter 2 values and store them in the session variables.
3. In the INI change section, modify the values with the values collected in the custom actions.

Do you think above step is a correct approach or is it possible to do it in a easier way?

DBCUSER
09-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I found a way to use HTA and show a dialog box to accept two input values. Now the only answer left is how do I get it back to IS X property and store it in the INI field?

Thanks.

DBCUSER
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Any one know, how to pass a value back to IS X to populate INI field?

DBCUSER
09-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Found the answer.

If you want to populate a value that is gathered from the user, you could create a dll/exe to display a screen to the user and collect the information and create a session property like
session.property("property1") and assign value to it. The property can be any name. In the INI when you assign value, use [PROPERTY1] thats it.

You can also read resigtry entry and populate INI through the same method above. Using vbscript read the registry and generate a property and populate INI field.

I thought I post my finding so that it might help someone else.

yuhaian
10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, it's great. Learn something from your thread.