PDA

View Full Version : Help with signing cab files / Windows Mobile 5.0

RedmondMike
09-21-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm able to create an installer for a mobile application just fine but Windows Mobile 5.0 devices complain about the .cab file not being signed. I have the proper certificates to sign the .cab, but InstallShield does provide an option for me to sign .cab files for non-SmartPhone 2002/2003 projects. One thought is to try to interrupt/pause the install build process and sign the .cab file before it's injected into the .exe. This does not sound promising. How does one enable InstallShield to sign the .cab file before packaging it into my setup.exe ?? I hope we didn't spend $500 on a solution that isn't really a solution. I can't release a windows mobile installer that wont sign the .cab file created by InstallShield. I've been delving deep into the included help docs and google but to no avail :( Oh yeah, why must the installer create stupid folders on the desktop, too? I don't want a desktop footprint when I install an app to a mobile devices.

Thanks for any time or replies,

Redmond Michael :cool:

GentleGiant
09-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi Mike,
Though I too am not aware of how the signing can be done, but i think i can releive your frustration a wee bit.
For the folders being installed on the desktop, check the Files & Folders view and check if you have put any folders to be installed on the desktop.
Do let me know if it helps.
Regards.

RedmondMike
09-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Yes, there are some in the Program Files folder but stupid InstallShield put those there without myself ever visiting that section in the List View. To make matters worse, I can't delete them. Why the hell would the sots at InstallShield think I want to clutter up my desktop pc with folders each time I install an app to a mobile device. It's a "mobile device app installation" for Pete's sake. I've also notice that they're piss poor at giving support in these forums. I guess it's us customers fending for ourselves? :mad: :mad:

GentleGiant
09-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Maybe they are not so good in providing support over these forums cause they have a separate support plan which user need to buy at a hefty sum. :)
Anyways, its many a times us user's helping each other. But i think it is good enough if it helps.
Ok, so you cant delete the folders from the list. Have u tried deleting them from tables in Direct Editor?

RedmondMike
09-22-2005, 01:42 PM
I haven't looked at Direct Editor but it seems to boil down to Macrovision's faulty advertising. They don't apparently support Windows Mobile 5.0. This Mobile O/S requires signed cabinet files whereas its predecessor Windows Mobile 2003 didn't. So, the annoying "Unknown Publisher" warning during installs on all our OS 5.0 devices is due to this inability to sign the cabinet file through InstallShield. So, since we obviously can't stick with a product that doesn't work, we're dumping InstallShield and looking elsewhere. :eek: I guess they lied and tricked us with their statement, "The Express Edition keeps setup authors up to date with support for the latest technologies and industry standards." Shame on them. $450 down the drain :mad:

davidh
11-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Not sure if you still need help with this, but you can try adding the signing entries using Orca (or the Direct Editor for InstallShield Pro and Premier) to the 'SPCFile' and 'PVKFile' columns of the ISCEApp table.

davidh
11-16-2005, 05:58 PM
Also, to avoid the desktop footprint, use the autorun.exe option found in the wizard if you create the Smart Device project type. You'll need to select the Smart Device project type from the New Project dialog.

markclabaugh
12-09-2005, 01:16 AM
I discovered that Express does not support Mobile 5. When I called Sales my sales consultant basically told me that I have Express, a sub 500.00 program and that it always follows their flagship products. That Express is not a top priority for Macrovision since it is the cheapest program that they sell!

Amazing huh ... my comment was that I was a Vice President of Development for a Software Company a few years back. We went with IS Pro and the cost of the program and support was minor compared to the 3 Programmers we had dedicated to setups at a cost of over 200,000 per year.

Look for Mobile 5 support in the next version and if you have access to Visual Studio start there.

davidh
12-09-2005, 08:45 AM
The Mobile support for Express and InstallShield is basically identical. It should support Mobile 5.0, with some limitations: (1) if you want to sign your cab files with non-Smartphone projects, you have to do it via the Direct Editor (see previous posts); (2) you can not specifically target Mobile 5.0 machines, but if you target all machines it should install on 5.0 machines; and (3) we do not have the new Redists such as .NET Compact Framework 2.0 in the wizard. You can work around this by using InstallShield KB Q111164. Look for these limitations to disappear in the next version of Express. If you are looking for some other Mobile 5.0 improvements, please let us know.