PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield alternatives?

InstallPunk
09-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Hey,

I don't know about the rest of the 10.5 users, but I am getting ROYALLY sick of coding around InstallShield's bugs. Over the past 2 weeks I have had to do the following:

- Remove source code control from my projects
10.5 doesn't play well with Borland StarTeam 6.0. Any project that was under source control was immediately unuseable.

- Hardcode SQL Scripts
Text replacement transforms my scripts into garbage.

- Modify XML files via Custom Actions
The "XML File Changes" view was too unstable to use. It kept renaming the "Web.config" node to "{ID_STRING246}Web.config" whenever I clicked on it. Also, it couldn't deal with attributes. Oh, and my product wouldn't install either.

- Hardcode my package code
The setup.ini was being populated with a package code of {FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF} which resulted in setup.exe always prompting the user to update the product if it was already installed.

- Manually modify the MSI file after building it
10.5 builds the internal tables ISWebSite and ISIISCommon with incorrect field sizes for ISIISCommon_ and SSLCert, respectively.

- Validate my MSI File Separately After Building It
Ahh, the lovely -6304 error. I don't know what happened, but now I can't ever validate my MSI file as part of the build. And, no, the product isn't installed.

It's almost laughable that I went through all of this if my company hadn't lost over a week of SQA while the slow (but persistent, I'll give them that) IS tech support struggled with me on these issues.

I'm utterly exhausted from working around InstallShield's bugs. I've been doing it for over 5 years now. Nothing ever gets noticebly better about this product. It's mediocrity, for being the industry leader in software deployment solutions, is staggering.

So please, if anyone has any alternatives, or was significantly more satisfied with IS 11 over 10.5, let me know.

Fed-up with IS Pro,
Seth Peterson (seth_peterson@pciwiz.com)

GentleGiant
09-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Try Wix maybe?

InstallPunk
09-22-2005, 09:00 AM
I'll give anything a fair shot.

Thanks! ;)