PDA

View Full Version : Schema and Windows Installer 3.1

wayneh
09-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I've used IS Express since v3 and I have yet to see ANY documentation on the Schema settings for ISE.

I've just upgraded to ISE 11 and am quite disappointed to see no mention of Windows Installer 3.1 or the correct Schema settings for it.
(Oh sure, the Microsoft help pages are there for Windows Installer, but not the setting we need for ISE)

In fact, I still see references to installer v1.10 in the General Information section (really, can't this be updated??) but nothing for 3.1.

When I search the Help file for "Schema" NOTHING shows up.
How hard is it to write a COMPLETE help file, huh?
It's only been YEARS.

Why is something so important totally ignored?

MichaelU
09-19-2005, 10:31 AM
If you are seeking documentation on Microsoft's Windows Installer, you are better off searching MSDN (http://www.msdn.com/). For your specific question, the Windows Installer schema version for MSI 3 is the same as it was for 2, which I believe was 200.

For what scenarios do you need this information? In the InstallShield Express IDE, I would expect the MSI schema version to be completely abstracted away.

wayneh
09-19-2005, 10:37 AM
What do you mean "abstracted away" ?

When I work on a project in ISE 11, the General information Section has a reference to the MSI installer version, "Schema", etc.

If it's not used, why is it there?

Why isn't this documented in Help, or online or anywhere else?

MichaelU
09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Ah, my mistake - I didn't realize it was explicitly visible. I work primarily in the Pro/Premier tier versions, and am used to the Express tier handling most of these kinds of details for the setup author. By abstracted away I mostly mean that you shouldn't have to worry about it. The installation process will use it, but the default value is likely to be what you want.

Spending a couple minutes searching, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/page_count_summary.asp is the best I can find for you on this specific matter; it seems Microsoft's documentation on this is almost as weak as ours. The pattern is pretty clear through versions 1.0--2.0; version 3.0 and 3.1 reuse schema version (Page Count) 200 from 2.0.

wayneh
09-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I guess I'm having some problems with this, please bear with me.

1) The sales info for ISE11 explicitly mentions MSI3.1, yet nowhere in the help, documentation, etc is it mentioned. I have a real problem with this.
I think the ISE help and documentation is pretty weak in general, but this is inexcusable.

2) I'm using Win2K and my Windows Update "wants" me to install MSI3.1
My question now is - should I update my Win2K installation to MSI3.1, and if I do, will ISE11 use MSI3.1?

3) If I use MSI3.1, will it affect compatibility for installations on any Windows systems? That is, are there Windows OS's which cannot use MSI3.1?

4) Are there any issues I should be aware of when using MSI 3.1?

Thanks.

MichaelU
09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
2) I'm using Win2K and my Windows Update "wants" me to install MSI3.1
My question now is - should I update my Win2K installation to MSI3.1, and if I do, will ISE11 use MSI3.1?InstallShield can make installations that use MSI3 before it is installed on your machine, and can build installations that use non-MSI3 after. There is no direct relation.

3) If I use MSI3.1, will it affect compatibility for installations on any Windows systems? That is, are there Windows OS's which cannot use MSI3.1?Please search MSDN for full details on which operating systems are supported by MSI3. Roughly speaking Windows 9x are not, and on Windows 2000 and up it requires a recent service pack. If you are interested in operating system compatibility, you are recommended not to require MSI3-specific features.

wayneh
09-22-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm still a bit confused here.

You state that there is no relation between what is installed on my machine, and the installations that ISE can create.

Does that mean that ISE has it's own copy of MSI3.1 included ?

If I choose the include the install engine in my build (Include MSI engines ) how is this affected by the installation of MSI3.1 on my machine?

MichaelU
09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes, it should have a copy of the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable. The MSI database format is compatible, so can be created perfectly with MSI 2 tools.

You can choose this in the release settings for a SingleImage Build:
http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/isxhelp11/IHelpISXBuildPropertiesSingle.htm
(See the MSI Engine Version, and Include MSI Engine(s) properties in your IDE; it looks like the help text is slightly out of date here as to what options are supported.)